Bert Trautmann

BufordUSABlue said:
But the main thing is that Bert was and is still a huge blue.....thats the only thing that matters!

Yes, you're right .... I feel better again now !

oakiecokie said:
Is there anyone on here who actually remembers when he joined us and the stick he got.
Undetstand that some of our Jewish fans refused to attend if he signed.
Any truth in that or just hype at the time ??

Was true only know coz of the book though! far too young to remember the actual event

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
My dad's hero when he was a match going teenager... said he was the king of calm, never seemed flustered... and my old man always cracks up just thinking of the cup final, only the other week he said "you see them all rolling around on the floor these days like they have a broken leg or something, all Bert did was rub his neck a bit and get on with it, they dont make em like that anymore"

Legend is an over used word (someone used it to descibe Sir Joseph of Barton on here the other day) but not in this sense... absolute City legend

It's funny how things seem are not always a true reflection of reality. Sure he carried on playing but he was in serious pain and could barely see in front of him. He appreciates the efforts of his defence that day because it was they who did a job of protecting him.

Also, about the calmness, he struggled to sleep the night before a game to the point that for some games he only managed a few hours.

1_barry_conlon said:
2r7ptv8.jpg

2dhe540.jpg

29ei2qa.jpg

See if any of you can recognise yourselves on the pics.
watch it boys - he's got a sore neck dont ya know!
Seriously though it was quite moving when hundreds of blues stood in the street outside the ground and just applauded him. I met him and his wife at an FA hall of fame dinner a few years ago and nothing was too much trouble. King Colin was there and was in awe of him! True gent and still loves City.

jay_mcfc said:
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
My dad's hero when he was a match going teenager... said he was the king of calm, never seemed flustered... and my old man always cracks up just thinking of the cup final, only the other week he said "you see them all rolling around on the floor these days like they have a broken leg or something, all Bert did was rub his neck a bit and get on with it, they dont make em like that anymore"

Legend is an over used word (someone used it to descibe Sir Joseph of Barton on here the other day) but not in this sense... absolute City legend

It's funny how things seem are not always a true reflection of reality. Sure he carried on playing but he was in serious pain and could barely see in front of him. He appreciates the efforts of his defence that day because it was they who did a job of protecting him.

Also, about the calmness, he struggled to sleep the night before a game to the point that for some games he only managed a few hours.

I know that to be the case about him being in great pain, the thing was he didnt really show it - which was key i suppose or they would have shot from anywhere i guess... dad said all he did was give it a little rub now and then which is amazing... can you imagine what Nani would be doing???

As for the sleepless nights, i didnt know that until reading his book, but i was talking more how my dad said he was on the pitch rather than off it...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.