Bert Trautmann

oakiecokie said:
Is there anyone on here who actually remembers when he joined us and the stick he got.
Undetstand that some of our Jewish fans refused to attend if he signed.
Any truth in that or just hype at the time ??

Yes
- but it didn't take too long for the jeers to turn to cheers - my hero when I was a kid. I always wanted to be goalie and pretend I was Bert

The Bert Trautmann Story is on the Yesterday Channel a fair bit. Worth a watch.

He is without doubt the true epitome of the word gentleman. I was fortunate enough to meet him and made a documentary about his life, whilst studying my Masters in Documentary Production at Salford University. It was based on Alan Rowland's excellent book (another gentleman and a big blue). I was hoping to get the documentary shown on the BBC, who were very interested. Ian Cheeseman loved it, him having family in Germnany and a Schalke 04 fan but it never got shown. ITV were also excited about it initially but became somewhat apathetic about it later, which I found strange as it was ready to be shown at the time of the World Cup in Germany in 2006, maybe it was because he wasn't a red. It would have been appropriate to show it as he was awarded an OBE for his work of improving international relationships between England and Germany. I eventually had interest from a company who wanted it to be shown on the big screen in St Anne's Square but didn't get shown due to fights breaking out before the game. It just seemed that the film would never get shown but the Manchester Evening News put clips of it on their website. However, eventually having spoken to Gary James, through my research on Bert and Manchester City, we decided we should show it at the City museum. It was shown for a year but after that the performance rights ran out. So it has been consigned to oblivion, as far as I know, never to be seen again, well apart from various people watching it every now and again on their DVD copies. Maybe someone at City could do a deal with Salford University concerning copyright and sell it in the City Store (with a percentage to me lol). It's only 30 minutes long but a lot of film makers have told me it's an amazing football documentary about an amazing man's life.

2r7ptv8.jpg

2dhe540.jpg

29ei2qa.jpg

See if any of you can recognise yourselves on the pics.

My dad's hero when he was a match going teenager... said he was the king of calm, never seemed flustered... and my old man always cracks up just thinking of the cup final, only the other week he said "you see them all rolling around on the floor these days like they have a broken leg or something, all Bert did was rub his neck a bit and get on with it, they dont make em like that anymore"

Legend is an over used word (someone used it to descibe Sir Joseph of Barton on here the other day) but not in this sense... absolute City legend

This is going to sound odd, but I spoke to Bert's grand-daughter a few months ago ... I told her I was a City fan, expecting her to be really pleased to be asked about her famous granddad, but instead she told me:

a) she didn't know much about his life
b) she is a Liverpool fan and her brother (ie: Bert's grandson) is (wait for it) a Man Utd fan.

I felt a bit sad / deflated after that !

Blue Theatre said:
This is going to sound odd, but I spoke to Bert's grand-daughter a few months ago ... I told her I was a City fan, expecting her to be really pleased to be asked about her famous granddad, but instead she told me:

a) she didn't know much about his life
b) she is a Liverpool fan and her brother (ie: Bert's grandson) is (wait for it) a Man Utd fan.

I felt a bit sad / deflated after that !

But the main thing is that Bert was and is still a huge blue.....thats the only thing that matters!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.