Best City team performance ever

Shaelumstash

The fantastic best individual performance thread has got me thinking about the best City have ever played as a team in a single game.

I am too young for the Ballet On Ice, although I believe we were incredible that day. More recently we were fantastic in the following games:

5-1 vs the Shite in 89
Dzeko's 4 against Spurs in the 5-1 away
Bolton 3-1 away last season
6-1 at the swamp
5-2 against Spurs at home under Horton.

I think the 5-1 away at Spurs is the best I've ever seen any English team play, only beaten by Barca's 5-0 against Madrid a couple of years ago.

I don't actually think we played that well against United last season in the 1-6. In the first half it was pretty even then when they went down to ten men we actually played quite poorly for ten minutes and they were the better team. Then we scored the second and it settled us down. We scored three goals in quick succession in injury time to make the scoring so wide a margin but the actual performance was quite run-of-the-mill; our finishing was excellent.

1-5 at Tottenham last season was the best i've ever seen City play.

In recent performances the 2-0 away at Newcastle was very very good. Considering how good they were supposed to be that season, how they battered United at home, and the pressure on us to perform knowing a win would make us nailed on favourites for the title, we turned up and made them look shite.

The Ballet on Ice probably gets elevated a touch because it was the first time that City really hit the headlines. It made a massive impression being on MotD. I didnt see it, but I'm told the 3-1 at OT was the best performance that season.

My favourite from that era was the 5-2 against Wolves in 1972.

Most recently...
5:1 against Spurs at WHL, 4:0 against Porto home and 4:2 win at Stamford Bridge in 2010

Two FA Cup games, both with 10 men.

The 4-3 comeback against Spurs in 2004 and the second half last year when we nearly came back - that was the game when I began to truly believe we had a realistic chance of winning the league.

4-1 vs Fulham Away in 2010.

Almost the perfect game with Tevez scoring two, Zabaleta & yaya getting on the scoresheet against Mark Hughe's team.

The passing was crisp & fluid whilst hardly any mistakes made, god even Jo looked decent in that game.

I didn't mention those against the scum since others have done so.

The best 45 minutes I can remember in a long, long time was away at Fulham in November 2010 when we were 3-0 at half time before going on to win 4-1.

We played utterly breathtaking football non-stop for 46 minutes, with endless sequences of passing and Olés from the crowd. Even that cretin Jo played well.

Enjoy:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportyhub.com/league/manchester-city-4-1-fulham-motd-highlights-hd-video_18bf3d424.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sportyhub.com/league/manches ... d424.html#</a>

EDIT: You beat me to it :-)

The 5-2 v Spurs in the early 90s was pretty incredible to watch, as was the 5-1, but all littered with errors.

For sheer dominance, attitude, and what it had riding on it, has to be the Cup Final win over Stoke, for me.

Could hardly get a glove on us and we just let our superior talent do the talking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.