best european weekend getaway for a couple

Carver said:
rickmcfc said:
Bluemoon dan said:
Thats a fantastic quiz question actually. Think I'll be asking that one in the office tomorrow!

Spain also has the highest road in Europe, and is the second most mountainous after Switzerland.

Not many people will get it because it's the wrong answer!

Madrid: 667m above sea level
Andorra La Vella: 1023m above sea level

There is also no universal accepted definition of what a mountain is so Spain may be the second most mountainous country in Europe by one definition, but not by others.

Spain does indeed have the highest 'paved' road in Europe (i.e. metalled road), the Pico Veleta at 3380m but the general public are only allowed to drive up to the ski base station, somewhere between 2100m & 2600m depending on which source you believe ;-)

The general public are allowed much higher than the ski base station. I was there 2 years ago and drove up there myself. When I got to the top there was 2 Bugatti Veyrons at the top. You pass a sign saying "altitude 2500m" then you continue to climb up until you reach a cafe and car park. The top is around 3000m, and can see the top of Pico Valeta from there. So, it does have the highest road in Europe, and up to the point I said it's Tarmac all the way.

As for the second most mountainous in Europe, it is. I know that different countries class different heights as a mountain, but in general terms it is the second most mountainous after Switzerland.

crizack said:
In October, anyone got any ideas. not amsterdam or paris. was thinking budapest but cant find a lot of reviews on it.

cheers

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roughguides.com/travel/europe/hungary/budapest/things-not-to-miss.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.roughguides.com/travel/europ ... -miss.aspx</a>

Loads of stuff if you look hard enough

Barca is fantastic (watch out for pick pockets but that goes for most Cities) not been to Budapest. Prague is nice.

Dubai Blue said:
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Did Barcelona, Valencia, Benahavis, Granada and Madrid.

I'd recommend all of them for their own reasons, but Valencia and Madrid are now two of my favourite European cities. Madrid is a sensational city, while Valencia also has the benefit of a great beach. Both have amazing architecture, great restaurants, excellent nightlife and cheap booze. Wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in Valencia and I had a bucket of 5 Estrellas at a pavement cafe on the Gran Via in Madrid for 3 Euros last week while waiting for the Euro 2012 parade!

Take your pick - You can't go wrong with either of those.

Have to agree blue, Madrid is better than barca imho

Greggo said:
Dubai Blue said:
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Did Barcelona, Valencia, Benahavis, Granada and Madrid.

I'd recommend all of them for their own reasons, but Valencia and Madrid are now two of my favourite European cities. Madrid is a sensational city, while Valencia also has the benefit of a great beach. Both have amazing architecture, great restaurants, excellent nightlife and cheap booze. Wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in Valencia and I had a bucket of 5 Estrellas at a pavement cafe on the Gran Via in Madrid for 3 Euros last week while waiting for the Euro 2012 parade!

Take your pick - You can't go wrong with either of those.

Have to agree blue, Madrid is better than barca imho
I went to Barcelona years ago with some mates and loved it. Me and Mrs DB went again at the start of this last holiday to meet my parents for a few days and loved it.

But we both agreed that Valencia and Madrid were even better. Nowhere near as many tourists swarming all over the place and both just had a more 'real' vibe to them, whatever that means!!

I'd still recommend Barcelona to anyone; it's a great city, especially for a first visit, but the other two come out on top in my opinion, particularly Madrid - what a place. It's the first city I've been to in quite a few years where I've instantly thought "Yeah, I could live here."

Only got back last week but already put the feelers out for work over there. Unfortunately, it's not the most buoyant job market in the world at the moment!!!

I've also heard very good things about Seville.

Florence is quite beautiful and not so touristy as Venice or Rome.

Lisbon is also very, very nice.

If money is not an issue, especially when you are there, try Oslo or Malmo. Both very beautiful cities and very clean.

Somewhere different try Rekjavik.
Also recomend
Berlin
Budapest
Rome
If you go to Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, Munich etc. Check out the footie fixtures so you can get to a local game

Athens!!

I went in February and loved it. Food was great, really good night life no matter what your taste is, plenty to do in the day like boat trips, museums, visit the Acropolis etc. The people are really friendly and its really easy to get around

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.