best european weekend getaway for a couple

Blue Punter said:
Dubai Blue said:
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Did Barcelona, Valencia, Benahavis, Granada and Madrid.

I'd recommend all of them for their own reasons, but Valencia and Madrid are now two of my favourite European cities. Madrid is a sensational city, while Valencia also has the benefit of a great beach. Both have amazing architecture, great restaurants, excellent nightlife and cheap booze. Wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in Valencia and I had a bucket of 5 Estrellas at a pavement cafe on the Gran Via in Madrid for 3 Euros last week while waiting for the Euro 2012 parade!

Take your pick - You can't go wrong with either of those.

How did you get about?

We travelled form Madrid to Valencia on the AVE high speed train. It was an amazing journey. Took about 90 mins at breakneck speed, without feeling as though we were actually moving.
Flew into Barcelona and then got the train down to Valencia. Then flew to Malaga, hired a car and drove to Granada, then to Benahavis, and then got the train from Malaga to Madrid and flew home from there. Was a great trip; would recommend it to anyone.

crizack said:
In October, anyone got any ideas. not amsterdam or paris. was thinking budapest but cant find a lot of reviews on it.

cheers

Budapest is brilliant, a boat ride on the Danube with all of the amazing architecture lit up is superb. Huge beers and food for great prices and the Gellert spa is unreal, great place to go.

I also love Krakow and Venice, I think Krakow may have got a bit Brits abroad now for a couples retreat though.

I went to Cologne earlier this year and proposed, the food and beer there is also amazingly good

Has anyone mentioned Florence? Great place to go for a few days.

But for a very interesting, cheaper option, Spain is the place. Barcelona tops Madrid IMO, but either are worth visiting.<br /><br />-- Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm --<br /><br />
Dubai Blue said:
Blue Punter said:
Dubai Blue said:
We've just come back from 2 weeks in Spain. Did Barcelona, Valencia, Benahavis, Granada and Madrid.

I'd recommend all of them for their own reasons, but Valencia and Madrid are now two of my favourite European cities. Madrid is a sensational city, while Valencia also has the benefit of a great beach. Both have amazing architecture, great restaurants, excellent nightlife and cheap booze. Wine is cheaper than Coca-Cola in Valencia and I had a bucket of 5 Estrellas at a pavement cafe on the Gran Via in Madrid for 3 Euros last week while waiting for the Euro 2012 parade!

Take your pick - You can't go wrong with either of those.

How did you get about?

We travelled form Madrid to Valencia on the AVE high speed train. It was an amazing journey. Took about 90 mins at breakneck speed, without feeling as though we were actually moving.
Flew into Barcelona and then got the train down to Valencia. Then flew to Malaga, hired a car and drove to Granada, then to Benahavis, and then got the train from Malaga to Madrid and flew home from there. Was a great trip; would recommend it to anyone.

Bit much for a weekend.

Would definitely head for Spain at around that time.

Been to Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona, and I have to agree with many that Barca tops the lot.

So many things to do and see, and if its nice weather - which it should be around then - always good to combine sightseeing with a chill out on the beach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.