Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

Give any of those three bands first albums a listen, especially Cheap Trick's, (He's A Whore', or 'Ballad Of T.V. Violence' in particular) and you can hear why they got tagged with the 'New Wave'.

Gaudino said:
Give any of those three bands first albums a listen, especially Cheap Trick's, (He's A Whore', or 'Ballad Of T.V. Violence' in particular) and you can hear why they got tagged with the 'New Wave'.

maybe what i've heard then is the sanitised radio rock which would be later stuff i would guess?

tonea2003 said:
the jam were put at the head of the mod revival by the media at the time
but i'm not sure they were in with the likes of secret affair, the chords,purple hearts etc who certainly were part of the mod revival

I remember it well. The Jam weren't like those other bands but their dress became very similar for a while and their sales benefited from it. I always wanted the bass player's clothes.

Lucky enough to see the Jam at the Roxy, no one knew what to make of them, they were smart, well dressed and stood out, the irony was they looked , well? "different" but fuck they could play and wrote good raw tunes, the softer stuff was not exposed. Ironically they threatened because additionally?

They wrote fantastic music, In The City (The album), stands out because the music captured the imagination.

They got marginalised from the Punk scene, ironically because they
1/ looked different. 2/ looked different, wrote fantastic Punk rock music, which was about social angst, but threatened because they would not be a clothes hanger for Viv and Malcolm.

Funny to look back on it now.

In the City, the single only, managed no 60 in the national charts of the day also.

Left off my list (of best punk songs) only because of those reasons, but F*** me what a great band, Weller the only one left now also, which is testament to the mans ability, a modern day Bowie, that has never been acknowledged.

Most Weller fans grew up with him, but never ever hark back to a so called "Golden Era"or Eras

Re:

BlackSheep said:
BTâ„¢ said:
Very early Adam and the Ants.

Don't keep making me agree with you. Deutcher Girls is superb.

Ever fallen in love, Teenage Kicks, My Perfect Cousin, Pretty Vacant, London Calling.

Everything by Blondie before Autoamerican, especially the Blondie and Plastic Letters albums.
Who bumped this thread haha.

I went to see Adam at the Ritz last year and I'm going again in November. He's brilliant live!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFVgN8zE6g[/youtube]

pig bag - papa's got a brand new pigbag
associates - party fears two
orange juice - rip it up
joy division - love will tear us apart - atmosphere
the clash - white man in hammersmith palais
the specials - ghost town
talk talk - it's my life
wild swans - bible dreams
lotus eaters - first picture of you
PIL - rise
a certain ratio - shack up
pale fountains - jeans not happening
talking heads - once in a lifetime

Boomtown Rats- she's so modern
Siouxsie and the Banshees- hong kong garden
The Rezillos- top of the pops
Elvis Costello- Oliver's army
The Skids- into the valley
The Ruts- babylons burning
The Vapours- turning Japanese

Not on my top ten as such but just wanted to throw them into the mix.

Best ever punk song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfyiaGIR6VA[/youtube]

Best New Wave:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCIP54PIQ[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.