Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

Absolutely.

Also it kinda dismisses the whole '84 era of Crass and Conflict etc.

At uni last year I was working my magic on a young girl who told me she liked 'punk', I was pleasantly surprised and started to tell her of my love for Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks and the CBGB lot when she said I was 'old school' and she went on to name lots of modern american bands who wear big shorts and shout a lot.

worst music in existence, american pop punk, horrible shit.

Knight1979 said:
At uni last year I was working my magic on a young girl who told me she liked 'punk', I was pleasantly surprised and started to tell her of my love for Pistols/Clash/Buzzcocks and the CBGB lot when she said I was 'old school' and she went on to name lots of modern american bands who wear big shorts and shout a lot.

worst music in existence, american pop punk, horrible shit.

Agreed.

I wanna be your dog - The Stooges
Personality crisis - New York Dolls
Debaser - Pixies

BlackSheep said:
brass neck said:
blondie ................x offender
rs

Nice one.

Whoever said Heart of Glass... it was a disco track ffs
yeah, didnt quite get that, Blondie was def new wave around the time of there first album imaginatively titled Blondie!!! Parallel lines was also new wave with some commercial stuff put in to sell the record tracks that included Heart of glass, Sunday girl, denis denis ...hanging on the telephone was probably ther only big hit to stick close to there roots imo.

brass neck said:
Blondie was def new wave around the time of there first album imaginatively titled Blondie!!!

Blondie - Blondie came out in '76.

"New Wave" was what the media called anything that remotely had balls after the initial wave of media friendly punk passed through the charts.

Different eras.

alib said:
1. Ever Fallen In Love - Buzzcocks

2. Bodies - Sex Pistols

3. Suspect Device - Stiff Little Fingers

4. Complete Control - The Clash

5. Shot By Both Sides - Magazine

6. Teenage Kicks - Undertones

7. Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols

8. Another Girl , Another Planet - The Only Ones

9. Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks

10. Don't Dictate - Penetration

unranked
Swallow My Pride - Ramones
Lets Talk About Girls - Undertones
Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric
Another Girl , Another Planet - The Only Ones
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks
Oh Bondage, Up Yours - X Ray Spex
Blank Generation - Richard Hell
Teenage Kicks - Undertones
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Roadrunner - Jonathan Richman

Dave H said:
brass neck said:
Blondie was def new wave around the time of there first album imaginatively titled Blondie!!!

"New Wave" was what the media called anything that remotely had balls after the initial wave of media friendly punk passed through the charts.

Different eras.
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh the age old debate, were they punk, were they a preempt of new wave? this is what one bloke on a forum said about the debate........." new wave & punk evolved out of the same musical cespool. blondie was around early on before the primordial ooze had clearly differentiated between the two, hence the confustion in terminology. traditionally genres were created by marketing people after the music had carved a nitche, not by bands trying to conform to a standard.".......... There has always been bands that nobody could pin down..the stranglers punk...I dont fucking think so!! was the Cure realy Punk just because Robert Smith had messy hair, they certainly didnt sound Punk for my taste. I think maybe some bands are sent down the road of linking themselves to a genre to gain acceptability, The Who initially linked them selves to the MODS but with in two years there music had gone avent guard and pretentious...surely that wasnt what the MODS were all about. The album Blondie had Punk undertones but for me was more new wave...the debate goes one!!!

brass neck said:
Dave H said:
brass neck said:

Different eras.
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh the age old debate, were they punk, were they a preempt of new wave? this is what one bloke on a forum said about the debate........." new wave & punk evolved out of the same musical cespool. blondie was around early on before the primordial ooze had clearly differentiated between the two, hence the confustion in terminology. traditionally genres were created by marketing people after the music had carved a nitche, not by bands trying to conform to a standard.".......... There has always been bands that nobody could pin down..the stranglers punk...I dont fucking think so!! was the Cure realy Punk just because Robert Smith had messy hair, they certainly didnt sound Punk for my taste. I think maybe some bands are sent down the road of linking themselves to a genre to gain acceptability, The Who initially linked them selves to the MODS but with in two years there music had gone avent guard and pretentious...surely that wasnt what the MODS were all about. The album Blondie had Punk undertones but for me was more new wave...the debate goes one!!!

Good point.
Another case in point - The Jam.
Heard them variously described as mod/punk/new-wave.
IMO just a great band,but "pigeonholing"like this must piss Weller off big style.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
brass neck said:
Dave H said:
brass neck said:

Different eras.

Good point.
Another case in point - The Jam.
Heard them variously described as mod/punk/new-wave.
IMO just a great band,but "pigeonholing"like this must piss Weller off big style.

True but it's undeniable that The Jam rode the coat tails of The Clash to a certain degree until they blossomed into their own band, much like The Clash were a Pistols inspired band who eventually outgrew the whole scene and became a very good rock n roll band.

Labels are always up for debate as the lines are blurred.

Joy Division are a good example, they are viewed as both a new wave band, sometimes labelled post punk but it's essentially the same for this argument, and also labelled as a precursor to the whole gothic scene. So you could legitimately label them Punk, new wave, post punk, goth or indie (given that they were on the best indie ever).

I love Joy Division and I also like the genres I just listed but I never personally think of Joy Division as being any of the above.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.