Best gig you've ever been to?

Silvercloud said:
Stone Roses at the Montemart in Paris in 95.

The same night Arsenal played Zaragoza (Nayim extra time winner) in the ECWC final. Paris was rammed with thousands of happy Mancs & pissed off Cockneys.
Feck me went to that gig of me head on everything jumped on stage and got booted out got back in a bit later top night !

bakerdave76 said:
Silvercloud said:
Stone Roses at the Montemart in Paris in 95.

The same night Arsenal played Zaragoza (Nayim extra time winner) in the ECWC final. Paris was rammed with thousands of happy Mancs & pissed off Cockneys.
Feck me went to that gig of me head on everything jumped on stage and got booted out got back in a bit later top night !

I did loads of gigs on the continent/America in the mid-90's. Used to have a fucking brilliant time as well. Top group of lads & ahem, ladies. We'd outnumber the locals 10/1 at some. Watched Oasis at the Roseland Ballroom in NY as well that year. The Yanks thought we were off our heads, going all that way to watch a band.

Top 5 in no particular order:

Radiohead - Grant Park, Chicago 2001 - just after Kid A was released. For those unfamiliar with Chicago, Grant Park is a large park just on the south of downtown, so the backdrop for the concert was the Chicago Skyline. Just a surreal show with about 50,000 other people.

Smashing Pumpkins - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 1999 - there first show with the full band reunited after they had kicked Chamberlin out for doing heroin with their tour keyboardist. A small sweaty hall packed to the rafters.

Doves - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 2000 - Doves first tour of the US. They had a small unknown band opening up for them called The Strokes. Long story short, the Strokes were stopped at the border by US Customs due to an order of burnt hemp . . . . Doves did their show (which was mega in its own right), then told everyone to stick around in the bar below the place for the Strokes. Only about 100 of us did. Cue The Strokes just playing a mental gig and me in my City shirt drinking beer with Jimi Goodwin for the whole show talking about City in between songs.

The Joy Formidable - Double Door, Chicago 2011 - If you get the chance to see this band live, do so, they are just extraordinary. Free pre-Lollapalooza show at a sweaty little dive bar. Just excellent.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - O2 Apollo, Manchester 2011 - His first homecoming gig, just a great pissed up time with one of my high school musical hero's and a bunch of Manc's. Great times.

Genesis, 20th Sept 1982 (now my wedding anniversary, so I can never forget it) at The NEC, Birmingham. This was the last tour when they did all their REALLY old stuff

Queen and Status Quo, 16th July 1986 at God's Little Acre. Both fantastic

Most disappointing
Voice of the Beehive/OMD/Stranglers/Simple Minds God's Little Acre August 1991. I went for The Stranglers. They hardly played anything from their back catalogue (Hugh had just left). I was stood next to a load of diehard Stranglers fans, and they weren't best pleased, either

Propaganda in 1985 @ Birmingham Powehouse

Jimmy Page solo tour in 1988 Wolverhampton (?)

Cocteau Twins numerous times 1986 to 1994

Buzzcocks and The Fall, anywhere and consistently to this very day

Des'ree in 1992 @ Ronnie Scotts

Labi Siffre 1991 some pub in Birmingham

Jon Anderson solo tour 1980 "Song of Seven"

Motorhead 1978 Overkill tour @ Birmingham Odeon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.