Best goal you've ever seen in the flesh?

To clear up the earlier post about David Rocastle's blinding bit of skill down the right touchline to create a goal, the scorer who turned the ball in was Carl Griffiths - it was v Ipswich on Feb 5th 1994.
It was the last goal that Griffiths ever scored for us (he only got four). I remember it well. It was indeed outstanding. It's not often that one flash of sheer magic sticks in the memory for 20 years. I don't suppose anyone can post a vid of it?
Well remembered, Sabbs.

allyboy said:
Im hoping someone can help me here as i was only a young boy when trevor francis scored a stunner,
I was with my old fella whos passed away, so i cant ask to confirm.
I think it might have been his debut, 1982 v wolves? Hit a beauty from way out that went over the keeper.
Not 100% though...

It wasn't Trev's debut, that was at Stoke at the start of the season. The Wolves goal was at Xmas 1981 a few days after we won at Anfield on Boxing Day. We went top of the league after the Wolves win, I remember all this because I was ill in bed over Xmas, missed both games and never saw Trev's goal as it wasn't televised.

On topic, Jim Melrose and Cyrille Regis at Maine Rd have already been mentioned and would be up there in my top 10. Throw in these others too:-

Dennis Tueart's overhead kick in the 1976 League Cup Final
Steve Mackenzie's volley in the 1981 FA Cup Final replay
David Silva's goal at Hull last season
Yaya's goal in the League Cup Final last season
Kinky's solo goals against Southampton and Leicester
Aguero's finish from an "impossible" angle against Liverpool a couple of years ago.

hard to remember all of them but

Kinkladze V Southampton
Kinkladze v West Ham
Elano v Newcastle
Brightwell V Rags
Yaya V Sunderland
Robinho V Arsenal
Tarnat V Blackburn
Power V Ipswich
Mills V Newcastle

Against us there must have been a few but cant really remember too many. Hasselbaink in the Middlesborough game was good.

Any we score against the rags is good but a few stand out...

Hinchcliffe at the far post in 89, Brightwell's bullet at the swamp and SWP's strike that went in off the bar...

But I have to say that in that 89 game the best goal was Mark Hughes' shoulder high volley... Probably the best strike I've ever seen, "in the flesh".

Sorry.

lancs blue said:
allyboy said:
Im hoping someone can help me here as i was only a young boy when trevor francis scored a stunner,
I was with my old fella whos passed away, so i cant ask to confirm.
I think it might have been his debut, 1982 v wolves? Hit a beauty from way out that went over the keeper.
Not 100% though...

It wasn't Trev's debut, that was at Stoke at the start of the season. The Wolves goal was at Xmas 1981 a few days after we won at Anfield on Boxing Day. We went top of the league after the Wolves win, I remember all this because I was ill in bed over Xmas, missed both games and never saw Trev's goal as it wasn't televised.

On topic, Jim Melrose and Cyrille Regis at Maine Rd have already been mentioned and would be up there in my top 10. Throw in these others too:-

Dennis Tueart's overhead kick in the 1976 League Cup Final
Steve Mackenzie's volley in the 1981 FA Cup Final replay
David Silva's goal at Hull last season
Yaya's goal in the League Cup Final last season
Kinky's solo goals against Southampton and Leicester
Aguero's finish from an "impossible" angle against Liverpool a couple of years ago.

I remember one where Trevor was running & it came over his shoulder & he just smacked it in from distance ? That's one of the best ever for me but I can't remember who it was against.

There was also one goal which never gets a mention in a low profile game v one of the Bristols. We had just scored & they gave the ball away from the restart. Peter Barnes picked it up, beat everybody who came near him, & scored. Even better than the Kinkladze one imo.

Best goal ever though, Rodney Marsh overhead kick vs QPR. On the chest, on the knee, flicked up above head height, smacked in. Late in the game, 1-0 winner.

Ali Bernarbia back heel to Shaun Goater against Gillingham away .
Outragous skill from the Algerian to set up the Goat .
It was April 2002 . It was also played in my favourite away shirt red and black stripes .

Big Swifty said:
To clear up the earlier post about David Rocastle's blinding bit of skill down the right touchline to create a goal, the scorer who turned the ball in was Carl Griffiths - it was v Ipswich on Feb 5th 1994.
It was the last goal that Griffiths ever scored for us (he only got four). I remember it well. It was indeed outstanding. It's not often that one flash of sheer magic sticks in the memory for 20 years. I don't suppose anyone can post a vid of it?
Well remembered, Sabbs.

My first ever game. Front row of the Umbro stand as it was at the time. Franny Lee's first game as chairman. Remember that Rocastle skill like it was yesterday. Unbelievable move that took out three men

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.