Best player we brought in on loan or free?

It's surely got to be Ali Benarbia.

I'm sure he'd been released by a team and Reid at Sunderland offered him a trial, which Benarbia rejected as he said he was too good for trials (he was right). So KK snapped him up and signed a few hours before he made his debut against Birmingham. I remember when the team was announced, loads of people around me thought he was a youth player but I remembered him from a few years before and said he was a good but older player. I don't think in all honesty we expected too much from him...

His debut against Birmingham was stunning and one of those football games I will never forget. After 15 minutes people were bowing to him when he took a corner and singing "Ali! Ali! Ali!". The greatest debut I've ever seen bar none and what a player he was. He ran the show and I felt sorry for Birmingham as no one could've expected that! I can only describe it now as someone like David Silva or KdB signing for Brentford and ripping their league apart!

I just wish we could've seen him in his prime and would still find a place in this team at his peak, no question. I bet there would be little to choose between a peak David Silva and Benarbia - both wonderful footballers who you love watching.

Benarbia gave us swagger and when he was playing you knew we would score. He was capable of phenomenal passes, quick feet and scoring. How on earth KK picked him up for free is astonishing.

I know there's some other good players on the list, but for me no one else comes anywhere close to Benarbia.

Nah I remember him being an absolute colossus. Won absolutely everything in the air. But obviously he only played about 5 games so we're looking back at the potential rather than the actual City career.

For me, it'd have to be Marc-Vivien Foe. 9 goals in a season from midfield was a big deal for us back then.

Ah, can't believe I've forgotten him - that's a great call. 9 goals a season from anywhere was a big deal for us back then!

First player I thought of was Daniel Van Buyten on loan. Classy cb was too good for us at the time plus we couldn't afford him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.