Best striker in Premier League history?

Who was the best?

• Total voters
Shearer had two separate bad knee injuries: the first keeping him out for 231 days and missed 30 games.

The second 198 days and 33 games.

I know Kun had a terrible time with injuries - particularly under Pellegrini, I think, but those two injuries must have had a huge impact on Shearer.
Fair enough, but the stats don't lie that Shearer played literally 2x times as many minutes as Kun. And you have to factor in how many of Kun's minutes were him coming back from injury as well, rather than being in peak form.

Kun would have smashed all records if he played anything like as much as Shearer.

And the really bizarre thing is, I actually don't think Kun was that clinical! He just created SO many chances for himself.

Fair enough, but the stats don't lie that Shearer played literally 2x times as many minutes as Kun. And you have to factor in how many of Kun's minutes were him coming back from injury as well, rather than being in peak form.

Kun would have smashed all records if he played anything like as much as Shearer.

And the really bizarre thing is, I actually don't think Kun was that clinical! He just created SO many chances for himself.

I've always maintained if Aguero just had a little more luck with injuries, as you rightly say, he'd have hunted down Shearer's record. And of course, Kun was 23 when he arrived here. I think Shearer was scoring goals in the PL from about the age of 17.

Anyway, both great strikers in their own right.

I've always maintained if Aguero just had a little more luck with injuries, as you rightly say, he'd have hunted down Shearer's record. And of course, Kun was 23 when he arrived here. I think Shearer was scoring goals in the PL from about the age of 17.

Anyway, both great strikers in their own right.
Shearer actually holds the record for the youngest hat-trick scorer in the English top flight which was when he was 17. That was in the old First Division rather than PL - he was 22 when the PL began in 1992.
Totally agree on the injuries situation. Unlike Kun, Shearer had a long career that was relatively injury free - but his goals per games ratio is still pretty astonishing, especially when he spent a lot of his time in teams that weren’t serious title contenders. As ever, comparing players from different eras is a bloody difficult exercise!

Last edited:
Shearer actually holds the record for the youngest hat-trick scorer in the English top flight which was when he was 17. That was in the old First Division rather than PL - he was 22 when the PL began in 1992.
Totally agree on the injuries situation. Unlike Kun, Shearer had a long career that was relatively injury free - but his goals per games ratio is still pretty astonishing, especially when he spent a lot of his time in teams that weren’t serious title contenders. As ever, comparing players from different eras is a bloody difficult exercise!

Shearer’s 260 total is incredible especially when you look further into it.

You’d think that 260 in 14 years would average out at 19 goals a year which is pretty special if you had a player who did that year in year out.

But when you look into it, his goal tally was massively helped by his four seasons at Blackburn where he was immense. It took him that long to get 112 goals then 10 seasons to get just another 148. He went from an average of 28 league goals a season to 14.

Sergio was more consistent average 18 goals a season.

You could also look at how many times they reached 20 goals which Sergio did 6 in 10 and Shearer did 7 in 14.

Shearers career at Newcastle wasn’t that spectacular from a league point of view. He had four seasons where you could say he was outstanding but there are some average returns as well.

I think what sets Henry apart from them both is that Henry was the best player in the world in 2004, I don’t think Sergio or Shearer ever came close to that even without Messi/Ronaldo playing.

Henry for me,
Watching him dribble through players was like art… untill messi came along.

I loved city since I was young, but I fell in love with football watching players like Henry.
2003/2004 he was unstoppable best player in the world that season.

I don’t think aguero ever finished as a premier league top goal scorer and I think that’s down to him being injured for atleast 1 or 2 months every season.

For me it’s, Henry, aguero, shearer.
shearer in his 30’s reminds me abit of what Ronaldo is now. Poacher and gurenteed to score a couple every now and then.

Personally it’s:

Kun
Henry
Shearer.

I would like to add another name in there though as an honourable mention.

Played as a second striker and without doubt one of the most technically gifted players.

Dennis Bergkamp

Used to watch him and think just wow.

Personally it’s:

Kun
Henry
Shearer.

I would like to add another name in there though as an honourable mention.

Played as a second striker and without doubt one of the most technically gifted players.

Dennis Bergkamp

Used to watch him and think just wow.
Sounds like exactly the same thing I'd say. They are my top 3. Bergkamp was my favourite player to watch he was so underrated he should really be talked about more, Incredibly talented made the game look so easy! Henry would of been lost on a lot of occasions only for Bergkamp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.