Biggest Cult Hero?

Neil Pointon also got this status for me when he planted his studs in Giggs thigh.
I thought he was a cracking defender.
Fans gave him a tough time because he replaced the then fans fave Andy Hinchcliffe (although based on todays general opinion of Mr Chin, that probably wouldnt stand up these days!)
Really gave us solidity in that very strong if a little uneasy on the eye Howard Kendall side.

Not that we thought it at the time, but think ditching Hinchcliffe for Pointon was the correct decision. (replacing Ian Bishop in the team with Gary Megson was similar, highly unpopular but probably correct at the time)

I thought he was a cracking defender.
Fans gave him a tough time because he replaced the then fans fave Andy Hinchcliffe (although based on todays general opinion of Mr Chin, that probably wouldnt stand up these days!)
Really gave us solidity in that very strong if a little uneasy on the eye Howard Kendall side.

Not that we thought it at the time, but think ditching Hinchcliffe for Pointon was the correct decision. (replacing Ian Bishop in the team with Gary Megson was similar, highly unpopular but probably correct at the time)
He wasn't called "Dissa" for nothing...lol

He wasn't called "Dissa" for nothing...lol
Oh yeah remember that!!!

Remember a goal he made at QPR in a League Cup game. (just added it below check out 0:14 in the vid)

Id stowed away on a School bus Theatre Trip to London, got off at Heathrow Airport when teachers werent looking and met my Dad and drove to game.
(Imagine that today, teachers would be in court for negligence!)

Pointon had done about a 200 yards sliding tackle then crossed the ball for....wait for it...Adrian Heath to score....

Think it was about the time there were the "Ive seen Adrian Heath score" badges on the Kippax!

BTW...I should add I was at school at the time, not some random nutter who got on and hid on a school bus!

Oh yeah remember that!!!

Remember a goal he made at QPR in a League Cup game. (just added it below check out 0:14 in the vid)

Id stowed away on a School bus Theatre Trip to London, got off at Heathrow Airport when teachers werent looking and met my Dad and drove to game.
(Imagine that today, teachers would be in court for negligence!)

Pointon had done about a 200 yards sliding tackle then crossed the ball for....wait for it...Adrian Heath to score....

Think it was about the time there were the "Ive seen Adrian Heath score" badges on the Kippax!

BTW...I should add I was at school at the time, not some random nutter who got on and hid on a school bus!

Heath never got credited for the second surely ;)

Surely the definition of cult hero is someone who doesn't stay that long, is adored by the fans, but not many outside the club are aware.
That's my definition anyway
Therefore, Andy Morrison is a definite. Ask anyone outside the club and doubt they would be aware of his impact here or even that he played here.
Ali Bernabia is surely another?
Possibly Walshie, possibly Beagrie, definitely Lakey

Tommy Hutch??? wasnt with us long and looked about 58 when he joined us but loved the way he dropped a shoulder and left defenders for dead.

Of course them days scoring a goal in a cup final also wasnt a bad thing neither. (the first one, I mean)
33 when he was with us, allegedly! (would ask to see his birth certificate personally).
Very good, exciting winger to watch. Enjoyed watching him at City....apart from when defending sodding free kicks ofcourse!

GERRY GOW
Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow...sang that countless times during that 81 Cup run. Gow and Nicky Reid were probably my favourites that season. Both totally committed and didn't take any shit from anyone and hugely popular with the fans.
Remember a league match at Crystal Palace where Gow pretty much started a brawl and then scored a last minute winner shortly afterwards. Not sure how long he would remain on the pitch these days!?

33 when he was with us, allegedly! (would ask to see his birth certificate personally).
Very good, exciting winger to watch. Enjoyed watching him at City....apart from when defending sodding free kicks ofcourse!
Looking at his wiki page Think he was 34 when with us but continued until he was 44 making 178 appearances for Swansea between 85 and 91, Then continuing in the lower leagues at Myrtha Tdfill until he was 47. He wasn’t , but he’s just become my cult hero

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.