Biggest, Most Important home match in City’s history?

I think that was the most nervous that I've ever felt before a game. Felt physically sick all day.

Same here. For many reasons, it was a perfect storm for City and without it, there is no Newcastle, no Aguero.

I didn't enjoy a single moment of it until the final whistle.

The Madrid game is huge, but is perhaps given more hype because of the glamour of the opponent and the new fans which have come on board since?

That United game was the end of the begining.

I remember City 5 Charlton 1 winning us promotion to the 1st division. What a great day that was.
Until....until, news coming through on the radio about the terrible fire at Bradford.
From unbridled joy to deep sadness in such a short time, totally summing up what it is and has been to be a City fan.
Not an Aguerooo moment, but a defining moment most definitely.

Nowhere near.

The United game in 2012 was on a different scale with all its components and history.

Reflected in the worldwide TV viewing figures.

The 1st leg of the league cup semi in 2010 I think it was against the rags.
Then it became that derby in 2012.
Then it became QPR because we had to get the job done.

We've had subsequent must win games. Liverpool in 2019. West Ham on the final day. Villa on the final day. But the two games in 2012 were pivotal to our subsequent growth, securing Pep as manager and the success that has come with it.

What should give blues huge confidence is that we tend to get the job done at home when we need to. All of the big occasions we've had, boosted by our home support, we get the result we need. It isn't always straightforward, why would it be, but the end result tends to be what we need.

Much like going to the Bernabeu is difficult. The home fans thrive on the momentum change, the players are never down and out, and they know they can win from any position. They'll be stepping into a cauldron tomorrow and hopefully suffer the same fate as we did last season. They've not been to ours, with fans, for a 2nd leg like this. They're experienced players but the Etihad atmosphere is under played. We'll swallow them up and spit them out.

I think that was the most nervous that I've ever felt before a game. Felt physically sick all day.

I was in a hostel in Sydney at kick off was 5am iirc. Couldn't sleep a wink. Went to the TV room in the hostel and some fucker was watching some nonsense so politely stole the remote and put it on. It was horrific. Never felt more alone!

I’m putting it out there that this Wednesday night’s 2nd leg semi final v Real Madrid is exactly that - the biggest game we’ve ever played at home and I’ll tell you why:
It is our first ever chance to get to the Champions’ League Final by playing at home. It sets up an eminently winnable final and gives the club a platform to go stratospheric in terms of world-wide publicity and status. It’s a chance to edge ever closer to a once-in-a-lifetime shot at winning the treble. So there you have it, it’s the biggest ever home match we’ve ever had and we truly are privileged as supporters to be able to witness it. Let’s do it justice and get behind the team like never before. COME ON CITY!!!
PSG 2021.

Never really gone along with this idea that a second season in Division 3 would have been anything like the end of the club.

But it would more than likely have put things back enough that the current owners wouldn’t have ended up owning the club.

So for that reason I’ll agree with those saying Wigan in the play off semi final.

Losing on Wednesday would undoubtedly be a very bitter pill to swallow but it’s unlikely to really change the club’s immediate future too much.
I guess it is really an 'age' thing, as most younger fans will (on the whole) have only known fantastic football played by hugely talented players going for trophies every season, and will be restricted to COMS/Etihad matches.
If we go out tomorrow it will be massively disappointing as we are in with a very good chance of winning the bloody thing. Like it or not, and in many ways it does incorporate a lot of what is wrong/corrupt about modern football we need to win it to be considered a 'great' team in many peoples eyes.
If we got out tomorrow (or if we go through) I think we'll (hopefully) be back in the same position pretty soon such is the quality and mentality we have.
Much the same as 2012, it is unlikely that a Premier League will ever finish in such a way (last season wasn't far behind though!) However, had we not won that year, I strongly feel we would have the next year (when we perhaps took our foot off the gas a little). We ofcourse won it 2 years later probably playing better quality football.
My votes for most important home game would undoubtedly go to Luton or Wigan.
Luton was a crushing blow, that set us on a downward spiral for years...(we may ofcourse still have gone down the following season even if we won/drew that day, who knows! ) .
Had we not beaten Wigan (and consequently Gillingham) we may have gone up the following season or we really could have been languishing down there for years to come. David Bernstein the chairman at that time said another season in Div 2 could have had a very damaging effect and had a massive impact on our move and all that followed.
Inspite of all the bitterness, bullshit and lies that the blinkered,' click bait/ red shirts pandering' media throw at us, watching City is a pleasure.It is a great time to be supporting one of the best (if not the best)teams this country has ever seen.
As I said above if we go out we will be gutted but our next few games will see us hopefully win the title or the FA Cup.
Losing to Luton meant trips to Grimsby and Cambridge etc.. and not losing to Wigan meant not going back to Lincoln, Chesterfield....oh, and York ofcourse!

I guess it is really an 'age' thing, as most younger fans will (on the whole) have only known fantastic football played by hugely talented players going for trophies every season, and will be restricted to COMS/Etihad matches.
If we go out tomorrow it will be massively disappointing as we are in with a very good chance of winning the bloody thing. Like it or not, and in many ways it does incorporate a lot of what is wrong/corrupt about modern football we need to win it to be considered a 'great' team in many peoples eyes.
If we got out tomorrow (or if we go through) I think we'll (hopefully) be back in the same position pretty soon such is the quality and mentality we have.
Much the same as 2012, it is unlikely that a Premier League will ever finish in such a way (last season wasn't far behind though!) However, had we not won that year, I strongly feel we would have the next year (when we perhaps took our foot off the gas a little). We ofcourse won it 2 years later probably playing better quality football.
My votes for most important home game would undoubtedly go to Luton or Wigan.
Luton was a crushing blow, that set us on a downward spiral for years...(we may ofcourse still have gone down the following season even if we won/drew that day, who knows! ) .
Had we not beaten Wigan (and consequently Gillingham) we may have gone up the following season or we really could have been languishing down there for years to come. David Bernstein the chairman at that time said another season in Div 2 could have had a very damaging effect and had a massive impact on our move and all that followed.
Inspite of all the bitterness, bullshit and lies that the blinkered,' click bait/ red shirts pandering' media throw at us, watching City is a pleasure.It is a great time to be supporting one of the best (if not the best)teams this country has ever seen.
As I said above if we go out we will be gutted but our next few games will see us hopefully win the title or the FA Cup.
Losing to Luton meant trips to Grimsby and Cambridge etc.. and not losing to Wigan meant not going back to Lincoln, Chesterfield....oh, and York ofcourse!
Should have put hopefully the title AND the FA Cup!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.