Bilbao or San Sebastian?

Make sure you try the local wine Txakoli . Slightly sparkling and not as strong as cava but me & the mrs loved it .Their local cider is worth a try too

Toying with the idea of taking the family there in the Easter holidays for a short break, finances permitting. Just wondering what would be the better trip with two kids (13 and 10) at that time of year? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Both depending on how long you are going for. Been to San Sebastián loads of times and you’ll have a great time. Bilbao is also a great city.

The direct bus from the airport to San seb is about €17 euros each one way so you’d be looking at nearly €140 euros return for the four of you. From memory the bus from city centre to city centre was about €6 each one way.

So if you’re going to do both, stay in Bilbao first and travel onto San seb from city centre Bilbao rather than airport to save on the travel.

The food and drink is very good value for money.

Reactions: Ric
Toying with the idea of taking the family there in the Easter holidays for a short break, finances permitting. Just wondering what would be the better trip with two kids (13 and 10) at that time of year? Any advice greatly appreciated.

both are nice and both are really good the issue we found with our son (similar age) with San Sebastián is it’s quite high end restaurants or it’s those nibbles in the bars and pubs. If it was just me and the mrs we would have a had a Greta time, but dragging your kids on a bar crawl isn’t always their favourite thing. Finding a decent family restaurant is quite hard.

around the same area but across the border is Biarritz which we much preferred as a family. Very good surf vibe for the kids.

they are all relatively close to each other and all good though.

Reactions: Ric
There’s two on my list I haven’t done, there and Bologna, don’t ask about Bologna very time I plan to go something happens, last time I was having a week on lake Garda was going to drive down they had an earthquake, had some nice Tapas in Lunya on Deansgate on Friday
Been to Bologna twice in the last 12 months, it's great ... Small City but fantastic bars and food... How the fuck one of them towers is still standing is beyond me, when up close it looks like it's just about to fall......

Been to Bologna twice in the last 12 months, it's great ... Small City but fantastic bars and food... How the fuck one of them towers is still standing is beyond me, when up close it looks like it's just about to fall......
I was staying in a villa on lake Garda was going to drive down that morning, put CNN on and thought, they probably don’t need tourists, was the weekend of the Monaco GP so wasn’t going there, did the French Alps for a few days then drove to Spain, was a nice month of work.

I was staying in a villa on lake Garda was going to drive down that morning, put CNN on and thought, they probably don’t need tourists, was the weekend of the Monaco GP so wasn’t going there, did the French Alps for a few days then drove to Spain, was a nice month of work.
You need to visit mate, we went in April last time, not awash with tourists which is great .... Long weekend is all need but if your anything like me and Mrs Death you will go back and do it all again ....

You need to visit mate, we went in April last time, not awash with tourists which is great .... Long weekend is all need but if your anything like me and Mrs Death you will go back and do it all again ....
It’s been on the to do list for over 30 years, spent loads of time in Italy just events seem to fuck things up, storey of my life

We're off to Bologna for the second time this year. Fantastic place and food is unbelievably good. As mentioned some lovely places a relatively short train journey away and not awash with tourists. That said Bilbao and San Sebastian are both on my list to visit.

Bologna would not be that interesting for kids though (not that's what Ric asked about).

I would say Bilbao will be better for the whole family (many more varied attractions and activities that would interest teens and teens-to-be), whilst San Sebastián would likely be better for just you and the missus (as long as you have the desire and dosh to enjoy some of the best food available in the world).

But, generally, you can’t really go far wrong with either. :-)
Agree with this. I would say San Sebastian is a perfect stag weekend destination.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.