Billy McNeill

Great day but he wasn't the manger.

Would think he means the promotion 5-1 against Charlton, fantastic match that was.

Although my first city memories are under John Bond (81 cup final, age 6), it was under Billy that i was old enough to really become a city fan of my own right.. thought he was brilliant, and was so upset when he left i covered his face up on all my team posters on my bedroom wall when we played villa! So sad.. dementia took my gran and my mum is not the same even now but she'd deny it, we know it's coming, i can't face it. We need cures for this.. It so often gets ignored, it shouldn't be.

Awful disease. Billy another man amongst men. I was pissed off when he went to Villa and even more so when he said ''Villa were a bigger club'' but as someone else said we were a bit of a joke club at the time with Arthur Daley in charge. I see to remember he was invited back a few years ago and he said leaving was one of the biggest mistakes he made. I wish him and his family well but obviously the forecast isn't good.

Great promotion having had to rebuild a complete team and then a great season for what we had the following year. Went to Spain in the next preseason and got obsessed with the sweeper system which turned out to be a disaster for us. Would have loved to see him have the chance with the Lake, White, Hinchy, Brighwell era though.

Wish his family well.

Sad news.One of the all time great captains for Celtic.
Never heard anybody up here have a bad word to say about him.
Says it all really.

Great day but he wasn't the manger, met his daughter(the one with her hand on his shoulder) and her husband in a pub before our game at Celtic asked how her dad was she just said he's had better times. Terrible disease for anybody to end up with.
Might have the wrong end of the stick here bud. I meant the 5-1 v Charlton when we got promoted, not the 5-1 v the rags when Mel Machin was gaffer. Billy was the manager of that team.

Might have the wrong end of the stick here bud. I meant the 5-1 v Charlton when we got promoted, not the 5-1 v the rags when Mel Machin was gaffer. Billy was the manager of that team.
My deepest apologies old bean I forget we have the two great 5-1 days one Greater than the other when Mel was in charge.

My deepest apologies old bean I forget we have the two great 5-1 days one Greater than the other when Mel was in charge.
Kne bother mate ;)

It's a lasting memeroy for me because I got on to the pitch with my dad!. I really wish I'd bought the seat where I had my season ticket when we left Maine Road.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.