Billy McNeill

When doing the book ''Teenage Kicks'', I was thinking about asking Billy to do the foreword to it, as he was manager at the time, but through a chance meeting I was able to ask (via a good friend) Paul Power, who was captain at the time and had played in the same team as a few of the youth team players.... so went with Paul...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing..... it would have been nice to have got a few lines in from Billy regarding that team and ensured he received a copy of the book :(

I remember getting my season ticket and a leaflet, something to do with the raffle/lottery thing. Big picture of Billy and the words 'help me to make City great again'. Remember thinking about it whilst watching the game at Villa after he'd jumped ship. 0-0 and possibly one of the worst games ever.

I remember getting my season ticket and a leaflet, something to do with the raffle/lottery thing. Big picture of Billy and the words 'help me to make City great again'. Remember thinking about it whilst watching the game at Villa after he'd jumped ship. 0-0 and possibly one of the worst games ever.
Both teams went down that season and Deadly Doug Ellis sacked Billy

Dreadful disease and thoughts are with him and his family right now.

Physical illness or even most diseases are treatable and at least you get to say goodbye to those you love and love you' this is a sad, sad way to spend your final years. God bless him and his family

I was shocked when I saw the footage of Billy. He was our greatest captain and represented the club and himself with honour.

The older we all get the more you hope that science can cure this condition.

Feel for Billy and of course his family.

He was in a very sorry state at a Champions League draw a few years back, so I'm not entirely surprised by this news, which is still very sad. It's horrible watching a loved one get taken by this awful illness.

The manner he left us was unfortunate, but City fans should remember who his immediate boss was. I expect that played a big part in his decision to go to Villa, who also got relegated that season. He did very well to get us promoted with fuck all money after Swales had criminally mismanaged the club for a number of years.

I hope whatever time he has left is as peaceful and painless as possible.
Occaisionally I agree with you.
Nice post.

Had the pleasure of meeting Billy about 25 or so years ago when I worked for the AA.I didn't realise Mr. McNeil on the job printout was him. As he came out his front door I knew in a second it was him. The chest puffed out,the way he walked,everything. I was in awe of the guy. This was the first Brit ever to get his his hands on the European Cup ffs. The guy is a legend. So sorry to hear about his condition,though most did suspect it. Liz,you make a nice cup of coffee,and great scones. Take care Cesar.

Great manager and man, and such a shame both for him and his family.

The 5-1 was the stuff of dreams, thank you Billy for that day.
Great day but he wasn't the manger, met his daughter(the one with her hand on his shoulder) and her husband in a pub before our game at Celtic asked how her dad was she just said he's had better times. Terrible disease for anybody to end up with.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.