Bizarre City Transfers Of The 1980's

Ian Davies, a full back from Norwich.
Absolute gash,no pace,couldn't trap a ball to save his life.
Paul Sugrue,bought from Walsall(I think).
Ran around like a headless chicken( a la Nicky Ried).
Tony Cunningham,had it all pace,strength er. thats about it.
Wayne Biggins,Trevor Christie had a strange skill for strikers,they couldn't score goals.
Dave Johnson and John Gidman,obviously past it,but we gave them a go.
All the kids we let go like Dave Bennet and his brother Gary,Earl Barrett,Paul Warhurst,Ashley Ward,who all went onto have great careers and could have done a job for us and were no worse than the garbage we had turning out at the time.

Asa's left peg said:
What about some of the jocks that Billy McNeil brought in! Gordon Deizel (not spelt right I know) there were a few others who were that crap I cant remember them, Melrose and Tolmie was ok (his posts arent bad either). Derek Parlane looked quailty shame best years were behind him.

was there one called Gordon Sinclair too?

Paul Simpson to Oxford!!

FUCKING Oxford :-(
I was upset about that,also he made his debut for them against us,Kippax gave him a ovation when he came out and cheered him every time he got the ball
We won that game as well 2-1. 2 injury time goals by Steve Redmond

Gordon Davies
Trevor Christie
David Johnson
Tony Grealish

this is opening too many old wounds and for that reason, I'm out.

Darren Beckford to Port Vale for 15K, they sold him to Norwich for 925,000.
Played alongside him at Burnage High School.

My dad, a negative blue at the best of times....(he always shouts "theyre going to score here" even when Van Der sar is taking a goal kick)..used to go mad in the 80s about players wed sold who did well for other teams.

Hed go through the papers and highlighted with an illuminous pen (yes they were all the rage in them days) all the ex City players whod scored for other teams....Beckford and Sheron came up time and time again.

To be fair he still does it to this very day, every time an ex City player scores he goes off on one...Even if its Paul Dickov or Chris Greenacre...he tuts and moans.

I end up wanting all ex blues to fail just to shut him up!!!

My "bizarre" signing of the lot, was signing Wayne Clarke just weeks before signing Niall Quinn (although cannee remember whether it was 80s or dead early 90s) Didnt see the point in that one at all.

Maccblue said:
Asa's left peg said:
What about some of the jocks that Billy McNeil brought in! Gordon Deizel (not spelt right I know) there were a few others who were that crap I cant remember them, Melrose and Tolmie was ok (his posts arent bad either). Derek Parlane looked quailty shame best years were behind him.

was there one called Gordon Sinclair too?

Lol. That's yer man from the film "Gregory's Girl"!!

Graeme Sinclair was rank. Signed as emergency cover at the back in 1984 and was versatile......in that he could let you down in a number of positions!! He played in one game, Torquay in the League Cup and maybe a couple of unused sub appearances.

Retired young through injury having played with Dumbarton and possibly St.Mirren, and his only real claim to fame was when he played a blinding game for Celtic against Ajax in 1982 European Cup (against Johan Cruyff no less).

fathellensbellend said:
superblue91 said:
yeh i used to like him alot 2,remember that goal he scored against the red dippers,they hit the post and bar fook knows how many times and we snatched it through a goal of good old Clive,now that game was day light robbery,,lol

boxing day 85, it was the only time we went in their half.

feed the scousers, let them know its christmas time

Wasn't at the game but I remember a couple of my dipper mates travelling around 400 miles to watch the game. Couldn't stop p***ing myself when they told me what had happened. I still wind them up about it today...25 years later !!

Letting Paul Power go to Everton, I think on a free. He came back to score the winner at Maine Road, but refused to celebrate. We got relegated that season and they won the league. Great business City!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.