Bladerunner 2049 v Bladerunner 1982

Another who has tried several times to watch the original and never made it to the end. I haven’t watched the newer one neither.
I may have to try and watch it again.
I was like that until the new one was released, so I thought I'd watch the original in full, and really enjoyed it. Then when I went to see 2049 it made a lot more sense and I thought it was epic, on the big screen.

I enjoyed both of them, but obviously the original is an absolute classic. I love anything with Ryan Gosling in though. His hit rate for choosing films is incredible.

I thought it was a fitting sequel to to the original picture but for me the real standout attraction was the Art Direction of Paul Inglis' team. The look and mood of the visuals in the film were a direct continuation of the ones in Blade Runner. I mean, they didn't seem out of place in Philip K Dick's dystopian vision of the future. When you think of the pains and lengths Ridley Scott and his team went through the first time... that is a truly monumental achievement. Just iving up to the greatest sci-fi epic ever made takes a whole lot of effort and vision.

How do you think the soundtrack compares between the two films?

Vangelis wins hands down for me.

Both great. The original just about sneaks the crown on this occasion because it manages to cover similar ground thematically whilst still telling an incredibly concise and entertaining story. 2049's story is just as engrossing for me but it loses me slightly with the fight scene under the water dam. Still, both great films and I'm glad they both exist.

Which version though?

Directors cut for me.

New one was good, but not a patch on the original.

I actually prefer the original original (so to speak). Probably because i've seen it so often, although not for a while. I like the film noir referencing and Philip Marlowe like voice over.

I enjoyed 2049, but doubt it will ever be considered a classic like the original now is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.