Blaming the players

PaleBlue said:
JMA - you're saying MH has ruined Micah, yet Ireland is playing his best football ever - is that down to MH or the player? is Ireland playing out of his skin in spite of MH then? Or is it possible that Micah has been found out now that he's chosen to sacrifice pace for bulk?

You never talked football whilst slagging Frank, I know why now - you don't understand the game.

Which do you want? Hughes is responsible for Ireland's improvement and the regression of the rest of the team? Or that he is responsible and has no control over either of these factors? Neither case is much of a postive, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

I'm quite happy with my understanding of the game thanks. You stick to cheap jibes and cliches if it makes you feel educated in football matter.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Braggster, my argument is not that the squad is 'GOOD' as that depends on your definition. My argument is that it is significantly better than West Brom, West Ham, Fulham, Blackburn, Hull, Boro, Stoke, Bolton and Wigan.

All of the above do not have players that match the quality, as a group, of the five players you mention.

I also believe that the so called 'no good' players in our squad match up fairly well with the rest of the players in these team's squads.

Therefore, as we have better players than these teams, I expect better results than these teams. At the very worst, results that are equal to them. We currently have worse results than most of them.

Unless you want to tell me that most of those teams have better players than us then I'm not sure what we are disagreeing on. Only a fool would expect City to match the top four.

Well, then your argument is still flawed. The squad is not better than all of the teams listed. Fulham, Wigan and West Ham (arguably) have better squads. Not, perhaps, better players, but better squads (that is, better balanced). Wigan for example have Heskey and Zaki up front as well as Palacios and Valencia in the midfield. All 4 would probably get in our side. Kirkland would also be a dead cert to start ahead of Hart. That's off the top of my head. As I'm sure you're well aware football is not about having the 11 best individuals and unquestionably our squad lacks balance and particularly strength down the middle. It does have more skill than all of those teams, but skill alone is not enough. Also we don't have worse results than West Brom, Boro, Stoke or Blackburn.

My issue is not that you want Hughes out - I can see why, and I agree that managers don't automatically deserve a full season. Each case should be judged on its merits. My point is that his performance is not as bad as you say, especially given certain mitigating factors. (Extremely chaotic and disruptive summer, consequent imbalance in squad, loss of form in centre back pairing - perhaps the single most damaging factor and he would've been playing Nedum but for injury)

I'm disappointed and concerned at the first half of the season, for sure. However, I can see the positives: tons of goals scored, in a team without a centre forward worthy of the name; progress in Europe; and a manager who, while not without his failings, is at least showing the desire to pro-actively address the problems. That is a big difference compared to some of the ineptitude we've seen in the past (Frank Clark in particular: "what's wrong Frank?" "er, I dunno"). On the strength of this I'm inclined to give him till the end of the season barring a disastrous run. Of course he's on a short leash given results so far but I honestly don't think he's been as bad as has been made out.

JMA of course your right, we have better players than those you mentioned. I think a point you missed out and I've overlooked myself is "How do you motivate players that believe there on death row?"

So many of our players must feel that they now have a sell by date written on their heads and I think this is our biggest problem to date.

Hughes has some tricky questions to answer, but so do some of the players. Its not perfect, we will just have to hope Hughes's players (the one's he brings in) sit much more comfitable with whats going on at the club with our new found wealth.

Fingers crossed for some better results and a better position come the last week of January.

Pete, Braggster. I take on board your points, and they are both fair ones. I think we've reached an impass though and I'm all argued out. Cheers

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Pete, Braggster. I take on board your points, and they are both fair ones. I think we've reached an impass though and I'm all argued out. Cheers

you have let me down now!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.