Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges

Not one iota was given when innocent women and kids were being blown up left, right and centre.

This country has been sold out by the public schoolboy/girl stuffed shirts at the top.

....what were the orders they were following? It started as a peaceful civil rights march...to say they were just following orders is to suggest they were told to fire on a peaceful civilian march.

You need to really look at the context of the situation....this isnt about soldiers being charged whilst terrorists get away with it. This is about innocent civilians being shot at and killed by the Army. It wasnt a battle or a war. It was a civil rights march.

And no, im not a terrorist sympathiser, my Dad was in the UDR ffs...i know ex-servicemen on this very forum who served over here and they are my friends....but what happened in Derry was murder.

For what it's worth mate, you're spot on there but I think you'll find this thread very frustrating. You sound like you have more authority to speak on it than most here. The truth as far as it's possible to know came out with the Saville Report. People should read that, or a summary of it. The whataboutery has all been done and the conclusions are all there.

The vast majority of people are questioning why different standards seem to be being applied.
But theyre not....if anything they are trying to apply the same standard....get charged and punished.

That soldier wont serve time...and if applicable he should be subject to the same terms of the GFA.

He still needs punished for his actions

Those letters were disgusting and wrong and the idea of the british government....they were not part of the GFA.

But they DID happen. Terrorists were told they'd effectively got away with murder. All in the interests of peace.

Why then is it in the interests of peace to prosecute a British soldier some 40 years after the incident?

Not one iota was given when innocent women and kids were being blown up left, right and centre.

This country has been sold out by the public schoolboy/girl stuffed shirts at the top.
I agree...and again for context, bloody sunday is seen as a catalyst for the atrocities that followed....the was no real precedent BEFORE bloody sunday to justify what happened

But they DID happen. Terrorists were told they'd effectively got away with murder. All in the interests of peace.

Why then is it in the interests of peace to prosecute a British soldier some 40 years after the incident?
I cant fully answer that....i dont agree with those letters....they werent part of the "official" process. I supported what happened to those who faced the consequences.

Well, that's news to me that Irish Republicanism terrorism only started in 1972.

If you know about the troubles you will know the Army and nationalists had a decent relationship in the late 60s and early 1970, as the RUC had previously been very lenient when dealing with the UVF and it's terror campaign at the time, it was only the falls curfew and then internment orders that helped recruit catholics to the IRA cause.

The army had had a very, no conflict attutude to what was termed free derry, the events of 71-72 changed that and even on the day minor skirmished between locals and soldiers, which were common most weeka had gone without real incident until the actual shootings happened.

It is easy to put the NI conflict as IRA v British Army, bit there was much more going on and there are no innocent IRA terrorist , but also some guilty soldiers and unionist.

As long as anyone who committed a crime is brought to justice, the side they were on shouldn't matter.

And to put it into perspecive of my opinion not being objective, I have a family member who was in the RUC and was shot twice by the IRA.

Last edited:
Look im not about protecting or supporting terrorists....or deliberately against the British army....my family were part of it.
It ls about accepting responsibility....admitting fault.

Its what the GFA and the peace process here is all about

Reactions: Ric
Unfortunately what happened in 72 and since can’t be undone,very sad the entire loss of innocent lives, its a shocking reminder of Northern Ireland’s history and that includes by the way army,police and other security workers,the innocent loss of life in England as well due to terrorist atrocities,but hopefully we can move on from all this eventually,which for a large number still can’t bring themselves to do this..let’s not forget this is only a thread on a forum at the end of the day we have opinions that may differ but we are all city fans let’s not forget that ...

I agree...and again for context, bloody sunday is seen as a catalyst for the atrocities that followed....the was no real precedent BEFORE bloody sunday to justify what happened

By 'real' I guess you mean there weren't incidents of the same magnitude. A life is a life though, and I'm sure you're not naive enough to cover up the fact that the IRA, in its original or provisional form, were carrying out atrocities and guerrilla warfare tactics since 1922; some 50 years before Bloody Sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.