Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

Final offering. Grateful Dead: “Dancing in the Street”. From Cornell 5/8/77

Surprised we don't see more Grateful Dead in these parts.

Anyway, apologies for the delay but the final playlist is now up to date to enjoy for the rest of the week.

Reactions: OB1
Well, this is the first and will probably be the only time that the playlist has encouraged my to dig out my clarinet and put a reed in it!! Tone a bit all over the shop when I open the register key but it's coming back :-)

Also I haven't listened to Tangerine Dream in years, so rectifying that too.

Before we forget. Any volunteers for Monday? Did we have someone upmafter Rob?

BM – Spaced Out

Thanks to @RobMCFC for putting this playlist concept together. What I enjoyed the most about this playlist was the many selections I hadn’t heard, and the extended play tracks, of which there were many.

Of the initial 5 songs, “Diamonds to Coal” by Jim White and “Bethlehem Steel” by Grant Lee Buffalo were very enjoyable new tracks to me. To pick a third, I’m also going back to an artist I admittingly stopped listening to after 1994’s Wildflowers. Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker’s “First Flash of Freedom” was a fantastic listen that really took me back to a long meandering song that hit many of their sounds from back in the day. This was an enjoyable space out song that complimented all the instruments, especially organ and guitar and Petty’s vocals, as stellar as ever. I probably need to give Mojo a listen as I was always a big fan of his from teens to thirties. The reason I’m only mentioning 3 of the 4 tracks is because I need to get to…

The Big Winner
“Space to Bakersfield” – Black Mountain.
This hit on the very essence of the playlist with a floating and meandering track that really set the mood of what this list was aiming for. I listened to this whole album after this track, it was that good, and as enjoyable, but this is a standout tune. I really enjoyed the guitar sound at the end to give it that cosmic early Pink Floydish feeling.

My top 5 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Laser Beams” - Wintersleep, very nice song right up the alt/indie alley from Canada
  2. “Lunar Sea” – Camel, a prog rock band I hadn’t heard that reminded me a lot of Yes, a band I need to listen to on their output
  3. “Univers” – Jane Weaver, able to get lost in this song and wanted to hear it again, great pick
  4. “The Kite" – Skies Fell, really cool tune from this Glasgow band I need to hear more from
  5. "Toumast Tincha" – Tinariwen, very nice desert blues tune from a band not familiar with
Best of a song I knew
“Dream Weaver” – Gary Wright,
I’m just a sucker for this song and the 70’s nostalgia around it

Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. "Papau New Guinea" – The Future Sound Of London, a favourite from the Trackspotting album
  2. "A Letter To Elise" – The Cure, not as spacey as others, but a song I enjoy hearing
  3. "Dancing in the Street" – Grateful Dead, a nice extended jam version as only the Dead could pull off
  4. "Moonchild" – King Crimson, didn’t realize how long this song was that was the origin of Doves M62 Song
  5. “Waking Light” - Beck, really nice spacey song of his

Anyone fancy going tomorrow? Sorry if I missed anyone coming forward.

You'd think that a week in Spain would give me plenty of time to chill out and listen to music, right?

Over the course of the holiday, I listened to music ONCE at night and read my book TWICE and that was it!
I was so busy playing games around the pool, petanque, rifle shooting, talking to people, making a couple of films, that I didn't have time for the stuff I usually do. Which, of course, is the whole point of the holiday!

I'm so knackered now that i meed another holiday. Anyway, this is a short way of saying that I didn't listen to all of the playlist but thanks to everybody who contributed and listened.

You'd think that a week in Spain would give me plenty of time to chill out and listen to music, right?

Over the course of the holiday, I listened to music ONCE at night and read my book TWICE and that was it!
I was so busy playing games around the pool, petanque, rifle shooting, talking to people, making a couple of films, that I didn't have time for the stuff I usually do. Which, of course, is the whole point of the holiday!

I'm so knackered now that i meed another holiday. Anyway, this is a short way of saying that I didn't listen to all of the playlist but thanks to everybody who contributed and listened.
Well looks like you have another week to listen to it.

Think we go with a week's break/extend this one. See if anyone comes forward for next Monday. If not I can come up with something as a back-up, but tend to leave that till the end of the round.

I'm so knackered now that i need another holiday.
Those are the best ones and a sure sign you enjoyed the heck out of the one you had. Well done!

Well looks like you have another week to listen to it.

Think we go with a week's break/extend this one. See if anyone comes forward for next Monday. If not I can come up with something as a back-up, but tend to leave that till the end of the round.

You might want to cue up as BimboBob, myself, OB1, threespires and RobMCFC have all had our 2nd turn. That's a decent amount of regulars not going to raise our hands for a third before you go. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.