Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 19 - Dynamic Duos - Coatigan (pg 368)

I was going to ask how could you not have heard This Town by Sparks but then I remembered despite being from LA they were a lot better received in the UK than the US I think?
I can confirm I've not ever heard them on FM radio or from friends albums, which were my main source of music back in the day when this was released. I was not into glam rock (save Bowie) or art rock back then, I can assure you.

I don't see them charting in the US per wiki: Career highlights include "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us", which reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart in 1974.

I think this sums things up well on them: In the beginning, they attempted to emulate the sound of their English idols, such as the Who, Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd and the Kinks, sometimes even pretending to be an English band while on the LA club circuit. They relocated to England during the glam rock era where, despite cutting an odd figure on this scene, they found success with their polished brand of intricate pop tunes and convoluted lyrics.

That was never going to make it big in the US or get any decent play on FM rock radio at the time.

There's probably a 'no prophet accepted in his own land' playlist theme of artists loved in countries other than their own.
They were loved in LA, but as one who grew up near Philly, I was no fan of anything from LA back in the day (think MLB/NBA rivalries).

Last edited:
Seems as though the consensus will be option 2 but if you want to put option 1 on at some point as well I'd be interested to see what's on it. Wasn't a theme were something sprung immediately to mind.

Yeah might pop them on just as a name and description for anyone interested in their own time, tbh don't think we'll ever circle back to it, and I get and agree with the reasoning.

BM OPENERS

Another great concept for a playlist, this could’ve run into an unwieldy list under the old rules.Enjoyed the first 5Particularly The Flaming lips and Midlake tracks that I hadn’t heard before.

NO track gets the best song prize.

Others I heard before and love

Roxy Music ,a classic
Sparks ,interesting it followed RM as always thought this had a lot of RM influence and both on Island label.
Steely Dan ,of course
DBTs one of my favourite bands
Alice Cooper, loved this album back in the day introduced to it by my older girlfriend and had a lot fun whilst this was on in the background!
Marvin Gaye absolute classic
The Stunning ,we had this on the album thread i particularly liked this track.

Ones I hadn’t heard before
Rory Gallagher ,I’m starting to get some of Emo’s adulation for this guy
Orlando Weeks, don’t usually like his stuff but I like this one.
Frightened Rabbit, not heard this one before
Midnight Ambulance, great name for a band.

Midnight Ambulance are a duo, jast a guy and a quine doing all the soudns themselves. So might have them again soon..

Seems as though the consensus will be option 2 but if you want to put option 1 on at some point as well I'd be interested to see what's on it. Wasn't a theme were something sprung immediately to mind.

Here is what I would have gone with.

Note, this is not the actual playlist we will go with. Just to be clear, for others. I'll post that tomorrow.

As I said, some are parallel metaphors, some mentions, some not specific but known to be about it. The first three were easy. Then it is making up number tbf.

Waltzer - October Drift
'I hold on only for you
(But I don't think I'm coming back)
Cancer crawl what can I do
(I don't think I'm coming back)
Poor and I'm sick and I'm falling behind
Limping barefoot through the shards of a shattered mind.'

Had this album in one of the new music threads a couple years ago, kinda grungey-lite thing, this song was singled out but more because it is one of the catchier on it.

The ghosts of right now - the wonder years
'I want to take you some place safer, pull your pain out with my teeth..
The entire coast is out of water
It's turning different shades of grey
Like watching somebody you love
As they slowly waste away
And you looked skinny at my wedding
Sick of carrying the weight
Of all the doctors and all the treatments and all the reasons to be afraid'

Had the acoustic version of this in the other thread when their burst and decay album was up. Would have gone with the album original version, which is more direct. They also have the song Dismantling Summer (also on the acoustic album that week), but this one doesn't tiptoe round it.

As dust dances - Biffy Clyro.
'The sleep is the safest place you can be
You can try hard to catch it, it just catches you
Imagine a camera coming up from your feet
Relax all your muscles, son, just hope your heart's in one piece
Now, it's bigger than us
It's bigger than everything it decides to touch'

Another one we had on the other thread when this album was up. The song (really, a lot of the album) covers the slow passing of simon's mother, from cancer. It is told from her perspective in a hospital bed. Worth a listen, the pick of the bunch for me. The 'such a lonely ride' segment gets me every time, still to this day.

December's traditions - Frightened rabbit
'It's not the answer
Treating cancer like a cold
What do you need
What do you need from me?
After months of grieving
Fuck the grief I'm leaving
Will you leave with me?
The blood loss, the towering cost,
Mouth to mouth and tongue to tongue
The lick brings warm, metallic taste'

Tbf, this is a metaphor, and is somewhat comparing mental health to physical health, and understanding, or not, in a relationship.

Surrounded by spies - placebo
'World leader going under the knife
World leader going under the knife
Stage four, stage two, stage three
Stage four, stage two, stage three'

Ok, a bit of an abstract one, but a song I like, that seems to mindlessly list daily and long term occurances in life, amongst them a reference to cancer. There are one or two others of theirs I could have gone with, but this was a stronger song. It is the repetition in it that really works, and that was incidentally another theme I have in mind (the power of repetition), that'll probably never go anywhere.

Another that came to mind but was too obvious as a song, but kinda meaningless as a reference is Nirvana’s heart shaped box. Mostly I was interested in what others might throw at it, beyond my known bounds. But, as all has been said, probably not the best idea all in.

Last edited:
Well if you have a live theme in mind...

I was going to close this round and then we all start again first come first served. That was before your return though. You haven't been, so if you want to close it after me, you can go two weeks from monday if you are up for it? And then we kick off again.

Check you, still young enough to know people still getting married! You'll be saying you went on a stag do next.
I’m on a chill out today after last night.
Just back after about an hours’ drive.
You go ahead, I’ll get my brain back in gear first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.