Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

Yes it’s not a bad cover as it’s also by an Asbury Park band so they all know each other.
Ok and wow, I see that now. Strange as heck how it has the tag of "Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul" on the song, but clearly different when looking at the album cover.

Each time I've listened to that tune I was outside on my bike or doing something that prevented me from double checking, but come to think of it, I didn't remember Little Steven sounding like THAT either.

And yes, like Rob, I like that version too! ;-)

I haven’t had time to listen all the way through, although I’ll try and rectify that this weekend.
I keep hearing the same ones before leaving. I’ll have to put it on shuffle next time.
Quite a lot I recognise in there and quite a bit I don’t.
Thought the Gerry Rafferty tune was pleasant enough.
Always loved the Doves - Firesuite. Used to play that a lot.

Not a lot standing out tbh, but a special mention to The Macabees. Not a song I knew but they don’t disappoint.
New to me and worth another listen is Los DugDug’s who sound like a Spanish Jethro Tull.
Elliot Smith also.
I thought Man of Moon was really interesting.
There’s a lot of Bowie there. Hadn’t listened to them in quite a while, so that was a bit of Nostalgia.

I’ll add more as I get to them.
About halfway through.

Something else that struck me here and in previous selections, is that Depeche Mode, although they are not what I’d normally listen to, do sound very good live.

I remember them as a poppy synth band and quite light. They seem to have gotten a lot heavier as they matured. Very listenable but the lack of guitar, for me does become… well not quite monotonous but certainly,… samish after a while.

Not bad all the same.

Something else that struck me here and in previous selections, is that Depeche Mode, although they are not what I’d normally listen to, do sound very good live.

I remember them as a poppy synth band and quite light. They seem to have gotten a lot heavier as they matured. Very listenable but the lack of guitar, for me does become… well not quite monotonous but certainly,… samish after a while.

Not bad all the same.
Yep. Another band that I just don’t get all the love for. Wishy-washy synths a go-go and no oomph.

Bluemoon – One Word Song Titles

Thanks to @BimboBob for suggesting the simple, yet complex, one word song titles. While there was a lot of familiar songs I enjoyed, there were a few new gems as well I enjoyed hearing for the first time.

I liked the variety in the first five songs, especially given we didn’t get all DM in a row – that run wouldn’t show up until later. ;-)

I never was a fan of FNM’s “Epic”, but Los Dug Dug’s “Smog” was the pick of the bunch for me. When first listening, I was wondering how I had missed this Tull classic until I looked further into the artist. When online references call them the “crazy Mexican version” of the band I thought I heard, I knew I wasn’t far off. “Scapegoat” and Fad Gadget were new to me, and it was good to hear this pioneer of synth-pop from ’82. Not surprised to see this artist signed with and touring with DM. I was familiar with Rafferty’s “Island” and ELO’s “Shangri-La”, and preferring the former a bit more.

The Big Winner
"Sandpaper" – Zach Bryan (with Bruce Springsteen)
, new 2024 music in the Americana and alternative country persuasion! I’ll happily go to Nashville to listen to this. Has the simplistic sound that reminded me of “I’m On Fire”, but the collaboration and overall delivery was unexpected and enjoyable to listen to. Any good song about out of reach love belongs in the great American Bar Scene, indeed.

My top other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  • “Remurdered”Mogwai, nice spooky sound aided well by the keys and synths until the full sound takes over
  • “Time” - Man of Moon, crowded list at the top of some good new songs, really liked this one
  • “Pitseleh” – Elliott Smith, great slow mood acoustic guitar track from an artist I need to explore more from. Sad backstory, but some great songs during his career.
  • “Build” – The Housemartins, poignant tune and agreed on the sublime delivery given the subject matter
  • “Kompromat” – The Barr Brothers, slow start that built up into a nice song with well done guitars
  • Palimpsest” – Asphenspire, back to back instrumentals did not disappoint, also didn’t know I liked Scottish black metal! ;-)
  • Govinda” – Kula Shaker, nice psychedelic trip from a band I’ve read is great to “experience” live
  • “Madelyn” - The Wonder Years, a band from down the roads where I grew up, nice sound here
Top tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  • “Rosanna“ – Toto, I never tire of hearing this song and I don’t know why
  • “Firesuite” - Doves, Hello? Hello? Oooh Yeah yeah yeah… fantastic reverb opening
  • “Splitter” – Calexico, beautiful song from a band I need to appreciate more
  • “Assholes” – DBT, some of their slow-moving songs like this are the ones I like the best
  • “Waterfall” – Stone Roses, a band I should like more, but just not there yet
  • “Forever” – Little Steven, honestly, I liked the other version better, but both were good!
  • “Ripples” – Genesis, early Phil Collins on lead vocals was nice to hear on this track again
  • “Xanadu” – Rush, the classic from the band from that time period
  • “Pounding” – Doves, off the nominated album
  • “Quicksand” – David Bowie, the less popular is sometimes better and more appreciated in this case

Last edited:
Looking forward to what @Black&White&BlueMoon Town has for us this fortnight.
I can wait for a few more (single word?) comments on our most recent selection here as I believe a few were still listening. I know of one regular we haven't heard from yet, even though I botched his Sopranos pick! ;-)

Besides, I'm still trying to make Sense of the movie I watched yesterday.

Is it time to get this party started? Am I "coming to your City"?

I can wait for a few more (single word?) comments on our most recent selection here as I believe a few were still listening. I know of one regular we haven't heard from yet, even though I botched his Sopranos pick! ;-)

Besides, I'm still trying to make Sense of the movie I watched yesterday.

Is it time to get this party started? Am I "coming to your City"?
Ha ha , I’m just out at the moment as it’s bank holiday here in Blighty.
I’ll post my likes on the previous playlist later.So by all means let’s party!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.