Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

Blue Moon – (Pre-and Post Match) Tailgating Music
I set up this fun topic for this date as this upcoming weekend is the official start of the college (American) football season. I realize that “tailgating” may mean a totally different thing in the UK as online searches indicates it mostly deals with following too closely to another vehicle on the road.

But in the US, most fans of American football associate the word with the pregame and postgame party around the game/match itself. The NFL has this too, but I enjoy the college variety much more given it typically is a chance to return to your school, see old friends and family, and enjoy the campus environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

We touched on this a bit during @Coatigan ’s Dynamic Duos with ESPN’s College Gameday tailgate theme song by Big & Rich.

The question I have with this past weekend being City’s first home match is what kind of tailgating happens or is permitted for such there?

Are there campers or motorhomes allowed in a parking lot for well before and after the match that happens in the US on campuses? That’s one of the reasons we have a travel trailer camper, and it has served us well for well over 10 years for attending games at both home and away venues.

Anyways, to cut to the chase, in addition to the food, beverages, and outdoor games such as Cornhole, football (both kinds), etc., the music and tunes played is a key, integral, and mostly personal part of the tailgate events. I’ve put together my own tailgate list of songs to fire up the attendees and get everyone singing along to take the enthusiasm and enjoyment to “the next level”. As I noted during @mancity2012_eamo ’s Live performances playlist, “Enter Sandman” has been a key part of my undergrad college team’s intro into the stadium, and ALWAYS gets played at our tailgates to encourage everyone to “start jumping!”

With the start of the season happening this week, I’m always looking to adding some songs to my list. I’ll be curious on which songs you’d suggest to get YOUR tailgate party going in full force and would sure to be a crowd favourite. If it’s one for City that I don’t already have, then all the better. I suspect this playlist will have more familiar than unfamiliar, but I’m curious to see what inspires and motivates others. Also, I traditionally like to insert a short and quick “fight song” or cheer song to help get the home fans singing along, so feel free to insert one of your brief favourites in there too around the normal songs. I was lucky to have two I enjoy already on Spotify I have added in.

Most of all, this is a lighthearted mix and meant to be played at the outdoor parties we have around games known as the “Tailgate”, so make it personal to you, and most of all, make it fun!

Virginia Tech Marching Virginians – “Tech Triumph”
Loyalty to school always starts first

Arcade Fire – “Ready To Start”
A loud and fast-paced opener to get the Tailgate under way

Spoon – “Got Nuffin”
This band making their first appearance in this thread, and it’s a good one! Let the guitars tell the story on what matters here.

The Revivalists – “All My Friends”
Great song to toast with others now gathered and to keep the party going

Collective Soul – “Heavy”
Nothing like some late 90’s alternative rock that gets everyone nostalgic for VT’s undefeated 1999 CFB season past.

Toad The Wet Sprocket – “Game Day”
Reminds the fans why we’re here, especially the sleepless night before the game.

Man City Boys – “The Best Team in the World”
Loyalty to Club just as crucial for the match at hand

Last edited:
Doesn't quite work like that here B&W....

- It pisses down with rain for a large chunk of the season
- If you're in the official car park you're cheek by jowl with literally a few inches between cars. You could lay out a spread on the bonnet of the car behind you though. Might give that a try sometime.
- The Po Po tend to take a dim view of you getting your gas barbeque out on Ashton New Road
- We are mostly 55 plus FOCs who would prefer to bring our flasks and sandwiches but the bastards don't let us these days
- The younger types who are up for a more sociable afternoon go to a local wine bar called Mary D's
- If you drive to the ground you have plenty of time for (our type) of tailgating music as you inch away from the ground!

Joking aside I'm sure there's all manner of match day songs people love and possibly one or two superstitious buggers who always like to play the same songs on the way to the ground?

Certainly an interesting theme and I think that it will make for some upbeat, fist-pumping, anthemic tunes.

I was just typing my response when @threespires comments came in and they made me chuckle.

A few points I’ll throw in around this for discussion:-

1. I must be a miserable old bastard. I firmly believe that a sports event is a sports event. You go for the match/game/sporting side of things and any dicking about before, during or after the match is to be frowned upon.

2. Haven’t been to a City match for years but I can imagine it’s just as threespires says. Used to go to the cricket and I wince now when they play song every time somebody hits a boundary. We are becoming a race that needs something happening every 5 seconds or we lose concentration and interest. This, in my opinion, is not good.

3. All of the above will be put to the test when we go to watch the Davis Cup in Manchester in a few weeks (Argentina v Finland for £10). Not paying £35 minimum just to see Great Britain :)
I can just imagine some hip hop or Coldplay or some other rubbish being played in between every game. Hopefully we will see some singles matches rather than doubles as I don’t think I will be able to restrain myself from shouting at the players if there are too many fist pumps.

4. Despite all of this, I’m glad you enjoy your pre-game BBQs and parties. Its much better doing it in a public place with like-minded people than inflicting it on your neighbours at home !

I've partied through a few of those types here. Other than the associated wind from the 2 hurricane games I've attended, that's when it's good to have the awning on the camper to try and keep most dry.
- If you're in the official car park you're cheek by jowl with literally a few inches between cars. You could lay out a spread on the bonnet of the car behind you though. Might give that a try sometime.
Yeah, I've been to a few campuses with limited parking, and that's always a challenge. I've got files and notes on which away games can work - and which ones can't. When going to the home game, they usually put the campers and motor homes a good mile + walk to the stadium, so additional planning is always required.
- The Po Po tend to take a dim view of you getting your gas barbeque out on Ashton New Road
Yes, I can see that challenge too!
- We are mostly 55 plus FOCs who would prefer to bring our flasks and sandwiches but the bastards don't let us these days
Yes, for most tailgates before the game, most find their obscure cup of choice, and those in uniform tend to keep a blind eye towards that.
- The younger types who are up for a more sociable afternoon go to a local wine bar called Mary D's
When I was in town for the tour of the Etihad back in December 2022, I had plans to go by there for a pint, but it wasn't open in the AM. Since then I've read here on BM the quality of their beer might not be what I was looking for as a self-admitted IPA snob.
- If you drive to the ground you have plenty of time for (our type) of tailgating music as you inch away from the ground!
Yes, when we parked close-by for the tour, I was looking around to see where things might be permitted for a proper match-day tailgate, but I wasn't seeing it.

Having full hookups at my kids' university sure has spoiled me for the days of having to run a generator and the Sunday dump station trips afterwards.
Joking aside I'm sure there's all manner of match day songs people love and possibly one or two superstitious buggers who always like to play the same songs on the way to the ground?
Nice, looking forward to hearing that!

The old guy dusking with his saxophone on Ashton New Road still hasn't quite worked out if he played a few notes of Blue Moon he is more likely to get a bit more cash than the random set of notes he seems to be playing unless of course it's Jazz he playing.

Certainly an interesting theme and I think that it will make for some upbeat, fist-pumping, anthemic tunes.

I was just typing my response when @threespires comments came in and they made me chuckle.

A few points I’ll throw in around this for discussion:-

1. I must be a miserable old bastard. I firmly believe that a sports event is a sports event. You go for the match/game/sporting side of things and any dicking about before, during or after the match is to be frowned upon.
My days of "in my 20's, living reckless" are well behind me too being 2 years your senior. I've been better at moderation since my kids have gone with us. Tough to sneak things in, and now most college stadiums will sell beer since 2 years ago, but think concert prices there. Having a post-game celebration beverage is usually in the plans, especially if not having drank during the game, which is the case for me. Again, having nowhere to drive after a match and "staying the night" makes that easier, but it wasn't always that way.
2. Haven’t been to a City match for years but I can imagine it’s just as threespires says. Used to go to the cricket and I wince now when they play song every time somebody hits a boundary. We are becoming a race that needs something happening every 5 seconds or we lose concentration and interest. This, in my opinion, is not good.
Yes, not a fan of the pumped-in music at the stadiums in between plays. The entrance song and something at the end is fine, but otherwise, it is overkill. Besides, that's what the marching band is for. ;-)
4. Despite all of this, I’m glad you enjoy your pre-game BBQs and parties. Its much better doing it in a public place with like-minded people than inflicting it on your neighbours at home !
We've had a few outdoor tailgates when watching a game on TV at home, but nothing that's going to bother the neighbours (usually are invited) as those are usually more low-key and less attended than at the venue itself.

Last edited:
I'll get in here early as got stuff going on later this week. I did have to look up the date for confirmation on this one but I was definitely there. Villa away 1983. Terrace behind the goal half time this song came on and everyone seemed to be singing it. It was almost as though it was written for us even though it's nothing to do with football. It's an absolute cracker of a song. The number one that never was

Wah! - Story Of The Blues

I’ve mentioned Soundgarden’s Superunknown on these threads a few times. The truth is I bought it, played it a few times and then largely forgot about it for a couple of years.

Fast forward to October 1996 at Universal Studios in Orlando. Some guy is playing Tom Cruise abseiling from the overhead gantry to the Mission Impossible theme and the atmosphere is fantastic.

An hour earlier, they were playing songs before the show started, one of which was “My Wave” and it really got the crowd going.

“My Wave” - Soundgarden

Blue Moon – (Pre-and Post Match) Tailgating Music
I set up this fun topic for this date as this upcoming weekend is the official start of the college (American) football season. I realize that “tailgating” may mean a totally different thing in the UK as online searches indicates it mostly deals with following too closely to another vehicle on the road.

But in the US, most fans of American football associate the word with the pregame and postgame party around the game/match itself. The NFL has this too, but I enjoy the college variety much more given it typically is a chance to return to your school, see old friends and family, and enjoy the campus environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

We touched on this a bit during @Coatigan ’s Dynamic Duos with ESPN’s College Gameday tailgate theme song by Big & Rich.

The question I have with this past weekend being City’s first home match is what kind of tailgating happens or is permitted for such there?

Are there campers or motorhomes allowed in a parking lot for well before and after the match that happens in the US on campuses? That’s one of the reasons we have a travel trailer camper, and it has served us well for well over 10 years for attending games at both home and away venues.

Anyways, to cut to the chase, in addition to the food, beverages, and outdoor games such as Cornhole, football (both kinds), etc., the music and tunes played is a key, integral, and mostly personal part of the tailgate events. I’ve put together my own tailgate list of songs to fire up the attendees and get everyone singing along to take the enthusiasm and enjoyment to “the next level”. As I noted during @mancity2012_eamo ’s Live performances playlist, “Enter Sandman” has been a key part of my undergrad college team’s intro into the stadium, and ALWAYS gets played at our tailgates to encourage everyone to “start jumping!”

With the start of the season happening this week, I’m always looking to adding some songs to my list. I’ll be curious on which songs you’d suggest to get YOUR tailgate party going in full force and would sure to be a crowd favourite. If it’s one for City that I don’t already have, then all the better. I suspect this playlist will have more familiar than unfamiliar, but I’m curious to see what inspires and motivates others. Also, I traditionally like to insert a short and quick “fight song” or cheer song to help get the home fans singing along, so feel free to insert one of your brief favourites in there too around the normal songs. I was lucky to have two I enjoy already on Spotify I have added in.

Most of all, this is a lighthearted mix and meant to be played at the outdoor parties we have around games known as the “Tailgate”, so make it personal to you, and most of all, make it fun!

Virginia Tech Marching Virginians – “Tech Triumph”
Loyalty to school always starts first

Arcade Fire – “Ready To Start”
A loud and fast-paced opener to get the Tailgate under way

Spoon – “Got Nuffin”
This band making their first appearance in this thread, and it’s a good one! Let the guitars tell the story on what matters here.

The Revivalists – “All My Friends”
Great song to toast with others now gathered and to keep the party going

Collective Soul – “Heavy”
Nothing like some late 90’s alternative rock that gets everyone nostalgic for VT’s undefeated 1999 CFB season past.

Toad The Wet Sprocket – “Game Day”
Reminds the fans why we’re here, especially the sleepless night before the game.

Man City Boys – “The Best Team in the World”
Loyalty to Club just as crucial for the match at hand

I read all of that, but still not sure I get it.
Having had over 50,000 of your lot over here in Dublin for the inaugural game of the new College season, last weekend, I’m not sure I want to get it either.
Half of town was cordoned off so you lot could party on Dame Street.

I don’t really do American Football. I know you all love it but I see it as a warning of where American ownership will take Sawker, if they defeat us and finally get their hands on the PL, to start with.

Ok, I’ll snap out of it….. music, this is a music thread, concentrate eamo.

I’ll get back to you when I figure out what it is I’m supposed to be coming up with,…. and I shake off this impulsive desire to shout: Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town.

Last edited:
One Word Song Titles

Again another good playlist, this one had a number of tracks I wasn’t familiar with.Of the first 5 I only knew Gerry Rafferty and Elo’s songs.

Others I hadn’t listened to before and liked
The Barr Brothers
The Maccabees don’t usually like their stuff but this is very good.
Blake Stadnik I’ve heard of the TV series but not watched it
The Wonder Years I liked this band from the album thread, another good song.

Top song I hadn’t heard before Man of Moon I must investigate this band further.

Ones I know and like

Elliott Smith
Calexico
REM
New Order
Doves ,not a fan but I like this
All of Bowies
The Housemartins ,must go and see Paul Heaton live , he collects old crisp packets you know
Rory Gallagher probably my favourite of his
Morrissey one of his more Smiths sounding songs
The Smiths

Song of the Playlist ,Genesis loved this album when it was released but gave up on them after ‘Wind and Wuthering’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.