Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

I had to look up what "contralto" meant. I thought it might be some two-man Italian defensive midfield arrangement :)

Nina Simone, Allison Moorer, Kim Gordon, Annie Lennox, Beth Gibbons, Christine McVie, Roisin Murphy, Tracey Thorn, Billie Holliday, Karen Carpenter, Tracy Chapman etc etc....all the best ones are contraltos! (with the exception of Alison Krauss of course)

1. The Adult Net - Waking Up In The Sun.
Brix E Smith's debut single away from The Fall in the late 80's.
Just loved the sound of this - and the video (below). A real California sound (not surprising seeing as Brix was LA born / raised) and a song I still play today each time I am driving to the beach in my Jeep with the roof and sides off. I read Brix's autobiography and it was the best music autobiography I've read.... I messaged Brix on Facebook to let her know that (plus more) and she replied so positively..... I was so made up.......

In fairness if I'd been married to Mark E Smith and Nigel Kennedy I think I'd retreat to a world of Californian sunshine music to retain my sanity too. I've heard good things about her book but never been sure I needed to see in print quite how much of a twat Mark E Smith could be.

Tracey Thorn writes a good memoir too, her book specifically on singing is on my stocking filler list.

Sorry for the hijack...maybe someone in this thread knows?

Do you know how i can listen to Spotify Playlists...but using Youtube Music

Sorry for the hijack...maybe someone in this thread knows?

Do you know how i can listen to Spotify Playlists...but using Youtube Music

No worries. I may be wrong, but I cant see it being possible to listen to a Spotify playlist on YouTube. Aren't they effectively competing services? I'm happy to be corrected.

No worries. I may be wrong, but I cant see it being possible to listen to a Spotify playlist on YouTube. Aren't they effectively competing services? I'm happy to be corrected.
Yep they are...but im kinda hoping some boffin has developed an app or something that essentially identifies the same songs but in youtube music

Importantly though, Youtube Music is different and seperate from normal Youtube

BRILLIANT....solved it :-)

If i set up a free Spotify account, then click on a playlist that someone had created, including those that have been posted here for example, i can save it to my Spotify Library / Playlists...

...i then go to https://playlistbuddy.com/ and log into YT Music and Spotify there, selct the Spotify playlist i want to convert, it then transfers it into my YT Music account....AWESOME, it works :-)

Pleasant, nicely consistent, somewhat insipid.

I like that all the songs are of a similar tone. There is a relaxed mood to them and they have that upbeat yet almost nostalgic feel to them.

The vocals are all so similar that if I hadn't known they were by different bands, could have all passed for one. None of them exert themselves in any way, and that is a part of the tone.

Enjoyed burning hearts the most, and then belle and sebastian. Dead pop stars is the only one that didn't sit with me.

Nice break from other stuff and easy to listen to, without being overwhelming. I'll be honest, at times, I did think, is this The Smithettes.

I like that all the songs are of a similar tone. There is a relaxed mood to them and they have that upbeat yet almost nostalgic feel to them.

The vocals are all so similar that if I hadn't known they were by different bands, could have all passed for one. None of them exert themselves in any way, and that is a part of the tone.

Enjoyed burning hearts the most, and then belle and sebastian. Dead pop stars is the only one that didn't sit with me.

Nice break from other stuff and easy to listen to, without being overwhelming. I'll be honest, at times, I did think, is this The Smithettes.
Thanks!

Pretty much all that.
Didn’t particular like or dislike Dead Pop Stars, but at least it was different. The rest kind of just blends in to one another.
Pleasant in the background but instantly forgettable.

I will give them a few more goes though to see if anything grows on me.

I’m familiar with B&S but preferred the animated video to the actual song here.

Not a big fan of female vocalists, so not really for me.Pleasant enough except for
Altered Images track which I really didn’t like.I don’t mind Belle and Sebastian but much prefer Stuart Murdoch’s singing.
I might listen to the Adult Net track again next month when I‘m back in the Florida sunshine, I’m sure it’ll sound better than in the Manchester rain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.