Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

Optional extracurricular listening.

A band that has recently caught my ear with their opening tracks, but not quite high up the list enough to outright add to the playlist. And @mancity2012_eamo , an irish one for your longlist.

The Clockworks - Deaths and Entrances. And also their Endgame song as the opener to their EP.

Optional extracurricular listening.

A band that has recently caught my ear with their opening tracks, but not quite high up the list enough to outright add to the playlist. And @mancity2012_eamo , an irish one for your longlist.

The Clockworks - Deaths and Entrances. And also their Endgame song as the opener to their EP.
The EP wasn’t bad but the album was a bit….. I’m not sure how to pronounce or spell the noise it induced. Kind of Nnnnmmmeh!!!
There could be an extra exclamation mark and perhaps a couple of question marks. I’m not sure.

I thought it was pleasant enough but overall I don’t think I can listen to his voice for a whole album.
I asked th e missus what she thought and she didn’t pay any heed to it being on at all. Found it a bit bland.

We’ll definitely give it another listen though where she will concentrate and offer some wonderful insight no doubt.

The EP wasn’t bad but the album was a bit….. I’m not sure how to pronounce or spell the noise it induced. Kind of Nnnnmmmeh!!!
There could be an extra exclamation mark and perhaps a couple of question marks. I’m not sure.

I thought it was pleasant enough but overall I don’t think I can listen to his voice for a whole album.
I asked th e missus what she thought and she didn’t pay any heed to it being on at all. Found it a bit bland.

We’ll definitely give it another listen though where she will concentrate and offer some wonderful insight no doubt.

Agree with all of that. Hence it wasn't enough to outright get added to the playlist, but still worthy of mentioning particularly as on both the opening song is the one of note. Intriguing enough in small doses, but yeah, Nnnnmmmeh.

Agree with all of that. Hence it wasn't enough to outright get added to the playlist, but still worthy of mentioning particularly as on both the opening song is the one of note. Intriguing enough in small doses, but yeah, Nnnnmmmeh.
Exactly.
How very sesquipedalian of us.
I do think it is spelt with 3 !!!s and 2 ??s though.
I’ll take it as a typo on your behalf.

Picking my last one for a variety of reasons, two being that though it squarely hits the theme it also represents other themes that I like the idea of but are probably too niche to sustain a week of picks as a playlist.

But my main reason is it's a great opener which ironically signals an ending. By the time Yazoo released their second album You and Me Both, they had already announced they were splitting. Such was the seeming antipathy that Clarke and Moyet pretty much recorded the album separately and there was a reason the album got the title it did.

All the more frustrating when you put the thing on and were immediately thrust into one of the great synth pop openings, one that suggested Clarke's decision to once again leg it was premature (albeit he'd stayed one album longer than he'd planned anyway).

Listening to the opener knowing it and the other tracks would never be performed by the pair was a source of genuine sadness. The lyrics, written before they ever met, are absolutely appropriate to the situation too.

Fast forward 25 years and it was entirely fitting that when Clarke and Moyet reconciled (and actually got to know each other which they'd never had time for first time around) the first notes out of the pa on their 'Reconnected' tour were the opening bars of this track which fans had waited decades to hear them perform together for the first time.

As for the other 'thematic' reasons.

1 - Songs with excellent backing vocals. This has some of the best placed ooohs, aaahs and ohs in pop music. Uninteresting fact: the 'oh oh oh' immediately after the line "perhaps if I held you I could win again" is actually my favourite bit of backing vocals in the whole of pop. Not saying they're the best, just my personal favourite.

2 - Songs about which the artist had no experience but still wrote a brilliant song. In this case Moyet was 16 when she wrote it and had never really had a relationship. In this case I think it's the naïvety that makes it, unlike say something like 'the one who knows' by Dar Williams a song that captures some of the essence of parenthood written by someone who didn't have kids at the time.

Edit: just realised I hadn't put the track!

Yazoo - Nobody's Diary

Last edited:
Picking my last one for a variety of reasons, two being that though it squarely hits the theme it also represents other themes that I like the idea of but are probably too niche to sustain a week of picks as a playlist.

But my main reason is it's a great opener which ironically signals an ending. By the time Yazoo released their second album You and Me Both, they had already announced they were splitting. Such was the seeming antipathy that Clarke and Moyet pretty much recorded the album separately and there was a reason the album got the title it did.

All the more frustrating when you put the thing on and were immediately thrust into one of the great synth pop openings, one that suggested Clarke's decision to once again leg it was premature (albeit he'd stayed one album longer than he'd planned anyway).

Listening to the opener knowing it and the other tracks would never be performed by the pair was a source of genuine sadness. Fast forward 25 years and it was entirely fitting that when Clarke and Moyet reconciled (and actually got to know each other which they'd never had time for first time around) the first notes out of the pa on their 'Reconnected' tour were the opening bars of this track which fans had waited decades to hear them perform for the first time.

As for the other 'thematic' reasons.

1 - Songs with excellent backing vocals. This has some of the best placed ooohs, aaahs and ohs in pop music. Uninteresting fact: the 'oh oh ohs' immediately after the line "perhaps if I held you I could win again" are actually my favourite bit of backing vocals in the whole of pop. Not saying they're the best, just my personal favourite.

2 - Songs about which the artist had no experience but still wrote a brilliant song. In this case Moyet was 16 when she wrote it and had never really had a relationship. In this case I think it's the naïvety that makes it, unlike say something like 'the one who knows' by Dar Williams a song that captures some of the essence of parenthood written by someone who didn't have kids at the time.

Edit: just realised I hadn't put the track!

Yazoo - Nobody's Diary
A great song. Got to admit there's been some corkers put up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.