Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

Picking my last one for a variety of reasons, two being that though it squarely hits the theme it also represents other themes that I like the idea of but are probably too niche to sustain a week of picks as a playlist.

But my main reason is it's a great opener which ironically signals an ending. By the time Yazoo released their second album You and Me Both, they had already announced they were splitting. Such was the seeming antipathy that Clarke and Moyet pretty much recorded the album separately and there was a reason the album got the title it did.

All the more frustrating when you put the thing on and were immediately thrust into one of the great synth pop openings, one that suggested Clarke's decision to once again leg it was premature (albeit he'd stayed one album longer than he'd planned anyway).

Listening to the opener knowing it and the other tracks would never be performed by the pair was a source of genuine sadness. The lyrics, written before they ever met, are absolutely appropriate to the situation too.

Fast forward 25 years and it was entirely fitting that when Clarke and Moyet reconciled (and actually got to know each other which they'd never had time for first time around) the first notes out of the pa on their 'Reconnected' tour were the opening bars of this track which fans had waited decades to hear them perform together for the first time.

As for the other 'thematic' reasons.

1 - Songs with excellent backing vocals. This has some of the best placed ooohs, aaahs and ohs in pop music. Uninteresting fact: the 'oh oh oh' immediately after the line "perhaps if I held you I could win again" is actually my favourite bit of backing vocals in the whole of pop. Not saying they're the best, just my personal favourite.

2 - Songs about which the artist had no experience but still wrote a brilliant song. In this case Moyet was 16 when she wrote it and had never really had a relationship. In this case I think it's the naïvety that makes it, unlike say something like 'the one who knows' by Dar Williams a song that captures some of the essence of parenthood written by someone who didn't have kids at the time.

Edit: just realised I hadn't put the track!

Yazoo - Nobody's Diary
This was on the radio when i had my one and only driving lesson with my Dad. I say lesson, I drove him to a pub, then another one, before going to a mate of his for an hour and then home.

Taxi!

Wow, some of you have already plowed through all three tracks already. ;-)

Ok, since I'm officially behind on this, and given I've just traveled to Foggy's Pacific time zone yesterday on work I mean that in more ways than one, I'm going to have to not get too Coatigan nerdy in my thought process on this, and just go with what feels right. :-)

I'm in full "concerts on the mind" these days with lots of 2024 shows planned, and a goal to see some favourite artists of mine that I have not seen prior. DBTs didn't count there, but this band does.

In fact, they are playing their first of 4 live shows *tonight* in Manchester at the Co-op Live. I have no idea how large a venue that is, but there it is for anyone interested.

The best news is that after an upcoming fall and start of winter in the UK and Europe, they are playing live at the same venue I saw DBTs last week in Jan 2025, so that will be my first show seeing them live, finally after all of these years in enjoying this band.

I'm sure this album was popular in the UK, but for a transitioning Indie lover as I was in 2001, this first song and its opening noise of sound just first came out and grabbed me like no other opener had in a while. Then it goes straight into the banjo driven melody that defines this song like no other, in such a way that I could now guess it in a single note. That still stands out to me.

A UK Indie/alternative rock Scottish band that has banjo in the song? Surely Rob has to like THAT! ;-)

"Sing" - Travis

Ok, since I'm officially behind on this, and given I've just traveled to Foggy's Pacific time zone yesterday on work I mean that in more ways than one, I'm going to have to not get too Coatigan nerdy in my thought process on this, and just go with what feels right. :-)

I'm in full "concerts on the mind" these days with lots of 2024 shows planned, and a goal to see some favourite artists of mine that I have not seen prior. DBTs didn't count there, but this band does.

In fact, they are playing their first of 4 live shows *tonight* in Manchester at the Co-op Live. I have no idea how large a venue that is, but there it is for anyone interested.

The best news is that after an upcoming fall and start of winter in the UK and Europe, they are playing live at the same venue I saw DBTs last week in Jan 2025, so that will be my first show seeing them live, finally after all of these years in enjoying this band.

I'm sure this album was popular in the UK, but for a transitioning Indie lover as I was in 2001, this first song and its opening noise of sound just first came out and grabbed me like no other opener had in a while. Then it goes straight into the banjo driven melody that defines this song like no other, in such a way that I could now guess it in a single note. That still stands out to me.

A UK Indie/alternative rock Scottish band that has banjo in the song? Surely Rob has to like THAT! ;-)

"Sing" - Travis
I've seen the phrase "brave choice" bandied around before. May apply to this although I don't mind it

"Sing" - Travis
Gone down in my estimation mate with that choice...dire!!

I’ve listened to the playlist as it stands and have to say, it’s very strong. There is little in there that I’d object to.
Right from the start I was surprised, even by The Beach Boys. Not a bad opening to a playlist at all.

There is a nice eclectic quirky mix in there.
Picking ten other than my own three will be difficult.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.