Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

So thinking about the post earlier regarding if there was a particular song that fitted the criteria set. I thought you had to move away from the traditional rock genres and look elsewhere. Here's what I think fits the bill. They are a band that apparently created Ambient House. Some will know the song but you have to imagine you have never heard the song before.

Opener - Tick
Debut - Tick
Best song - Tick (subjective I know)
Now for the abstract bit
First sounds you hear are a cockerel, a John Waite sample from Radio 4, a harmonica sample from Ennio Morricone, a plane then an interview with American singer Rickie Lee Jones about the sky. That's all in the first 45 seconds before the beat kicks in. This was a big album for me and my mates when it came out. As close as I can get and is going on.

The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds

Just listening to the new Greenleaf album (a band I have put up in these here threads here and there), and thinking, great opening track ;)

This is one now we'll all start noticing a lot more.

I had a ton of stuff in mind but put up three that I hope showed diversity.
An album mentioned a couple of weeks ago came to mind but I didn’t want to be repetitive.
11 past the hour- the title and opening track by Imelda May is a great start for anyone who doesn’t know her or was used to her rockabilly period.
I was sorely tempted to go with Joe’s Garage by Zappa but went with Peaches from Hot Rats instead. Wasn’t sure how The Central Scrutinizer would be received in here.

And then there was my initial thought of the opener for a live concert album.
That is something I just can’t get out of my head. I might save that for another day.
There are some killers to choose from there.

I had a ton of stuff in mind but put up three that I hope showed diversity.
An album mentioned a couple of weeks ago came to mind but I didn’t want to be repetitive.
11 past the hour- the title and opening track by Imelda May is a great start for anyone who doesn’t know her or was used to her rockabilly period.
I was sorely tempted to go with Joe’s Garage by Zappa but went with Peaches from Hot Rats instead. Wasn’t sure how The Central Scrutinizer would be received in here.

And then there was my initial thought of the opener for a live concert album.
That is something I just can’t get out of my head. I might save that for another day.
There are some killers to choose from there.

Similarly had a bunch I could have gone with, most of which I mentioned, but decided on ones I thought was a chance to put forward for a couple reasons, to limit it to the 3.

While you were away, the playlists grew to an average 70 odd songs. So we devided to try the 5 initial 3 from others format to reduce it.

Think as we are coming to the end of this round, worth checking up on how people find it, whether it is something to stick with or think about reverting back to more is more. Be interesting to hear general thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Certainly showed there's a lot of great songs opening albums. Like to think I've left an open goal for someone to go to the other end of the album track list but if not I may return myself at some point.

Playlist updated so I think there's something for everyone to listen in between you all deciding whether you like The Jam or not. More of a Style Council man myself.

Now for my indulgence pick linked to Coatigans semi challenge

I almost want to make a parallel playlist to this one, with the closing track off each of the albums the songs here open.

Had a quick look amongst my own shortlist that I had considered, and very few have both, a good opening and closing track. So it would probably be a start drom scratch and on its own merit process.

I almost want to make a parallel playlist to this one, with the closing track off each of the albums the songs here open.

Had a quick look amongst my own shortlist that I had considered, and very few have both, a good opening and closing track. So it would probably be a start drom scratch and on its own merit process.
Yes that's very interesting. I'm going to have a look at the last song on my original 5. I thought about a future closers picks and found the ones I would put on are really long. Which then would put in mind how long could the playlist end up being? This was 2 hours 20 minutes long and if everyone put another 2 on it would be well over 3 and probably near 4.

I am between two themes for next week. Both are sonewhat niche, but one is potentially very niche. It is topical and relevant, but while the thought is there, finding 5 songs that fit And are worth putting forward was not that easy. And the result isn't particularly varied.

Might open this one up to the crowd later on in the week so I don't shit the bed in closing this round.

I am between two themes for next week. Both are sonewhat niche, but one is potentially very niche. It is topical and relevant, but while the thought is there, finding 5 songs that fit And are worth putting forward was not that easy. And the result isn't particularly varied.

Might open this one up to the crowd later on in the week so I don't shit the bed in closing this round.

Topical you say? Imminent demise caused through political and economic malfeasance is indeed a pretty niche subject but I might have a Redskins track that fits the bill! :-)

Just done likewise for my three and in their own way all of them are pretty morose which got me thinking about the nature of a closer. Agree it's a theme on its own.

Topical you say? Imminent demise caused through political and economic malfeasance is indeed a pretty niche subject but I might have a Redskins track that fits the bill! :-)

That is indeed relevant. But more locally topical. Much more locally.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.