Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

Hard to decide what to put forward, as there are so many that I am drawn to for very different reasons.

Bombtrack by RATM is a great opener and a great debut 'first', in my previous categories thing. So Much For The Afterglow still makes me smile every time it starts then kicks in, more than a two decades later. The hit of an otherwise fine album.

But I'll go with one that to me can be argued does all 3.

Modern Leper - Frightened Rabbit.

Not one of the immediately obvious hits, a song that at the start set the tone and told you what the album was all about. And gave a taste for the way the lyrics, metaphors and structure would unfold, that there is a beginning and an end, and not just a verse chorus repeat.

While initially more of a mood setter and not one of the big songs on it, over time it became a fan favourite cult classic song, which makes it imo tick the second category.

And while not technically the debut album, for all intents and purposes, it was. Their first album was a self release that you could only get at the gigs or by emailing them, and it was (re)released properly after the success of this one. And just as quickly forgotten probably.

Acrobatics much? Maybe. Who cares, this is meant to be fun.

While on Modern Leper, the metaphor of a relationship ending being like losing a limb, has been used a couple of times after that. Turnover's Cutting My Fingers Off (and excellent opening track, in fact), and Hayley Williams' My Limb.

Just a passing thought, that's all. Both worthy of extracurricular listening ;)

This might tick a few of the opener categories with minimal lyrics present...

"Untitled" - Interpol
Like this album a lot but haven't listened to it for quite a while. Might bang it on later. They're doing a 20th anniversary tour for Antics which I may go to.

Will close up tomorrow and I have one song that's as close as I can get to the criteria Coatigan set. The abstract part is the difficult bit.
TV The Drug Of The Nation by Disposable Heroes was pretty close but not an opener

Have to say this theme has made me think and look a lot harder than others.

Normally I'd just think of songs that come to mind. This one there was a degree of that but I did have to check a few albums to see if they were the first song for a lot. I'd say it is a 50-50 of my top albums having a really strong worthwhile opener.

Have to say this theme has made me think and look a lot harder than others.
This was one that was not good to have to think of while on the road this past week in the Pacific Northwest on workation.

Normally I'd just think of songs that come to mind. This one there was a degree of that but I did have to check a few albums to see if they were the first song for a lot. I'd say it is a 50-50 of my top albums having a really strong worthwhile opener.
I had a lot of other songs in mind but those were well pretty known, and I was trying to come up with some non-usual obvious ones. If OB1 was submitting, we would have had some good Zep and VH openers for sure. How Rush escaped this one is probably a MCD mercy gift. And who knew a good number here was into hating on the fame of a certain Scottish band never to be even a blip in the States? They don't start with R either.

Last edited:
This was one that was not good to have to think of while on the road this past week in the Pacific Northwest on workation.

I had a lot of other songs in mind but those were well pretty known, and I was trying to come up with some non-usual obvious ones. If OB1 was submitting, we would have had some good Zep and VH openers for sure. How Rush escaped this one is probably a MCD mercy gift. And who knew a good number here was into hating on the fame of a certain Scottish band never to be even a blip in the States? They don't start with R either.
They've got a new album out in July called believe it or not LA Times. Recorded on Skid Row and Fran has lived in.LA for 10 years. He's seen the comments on here and decided he's not coming back

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Certainly showed there's a lot of great songs opening albums. Like to think I've left an open goal for someone to go to the other end of the album track list but if not I may return myself at some point.

Playlist updated so I think there's something for everyone to listen in between you all deciding whether you like The Jam or not. More of a Style Council man myself.

Now for my indulgence pick linked to Coatigans semi challenge

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.