Blue Shirt, Blue Shorts, White Socks?

variations ... (apologies on the PL badges for the anally perdantic that wont be accurate next season)
Cc5BTrKW0AA0sQs.jpg
Cc5BTtXWAAAHVWY.jpg
Cc5BTtmWIAA5JR8.jpg

A lot of folk would say its only the kit and its not that important but have the rag's colour's ever changed, nope, have liverpool's, no. The consistency of the kit colours is definitive of the club and if this is true ill be seriously p####d off.

Er, erm... Liverpool kit has changed. They used to wear white shorts until someone decided (often assumed to be Shankly) that they'd drop the white shorts and have an all red kit. They changed in 1964. Leeds changed to an all-white kit in the 60s as well. I'm not saying I'm in favour of an all blue kit (I am definitely against all-blue - we should always have white shorts on our home kit in my opinion) but merely pointing out that LFC and other major sides have changed their kits.

Er, erm... Liverpool kit has changed. They used to wear white shorts until someone decided (often assumed to be Shankly) that they'd drop the white shorts and have an all red kit. They changed in 1964. Leeds changed to an all-white kit in the 60s as well. I'm not saying I'm in favour of an all blue kit (I am definitely against all-blue - we should always have white shorts on our home kit in my opinion) but merely pointing out that LFC and other major sides have changed their kits.

Fair enough I stand corrected. My point is that if Liverpool changed their kit tomorrow to white shorts and socks there would be an outcry from their fans, despite as you say them having changed before. The same would go for Utd.

These teams changed and stuck with the new colours though? Can't think of many teams who change their colours every season like us. There wasn't even a splash of white in last season kit (except the 3 stripes on the badge). There'd be uproar if United changed their socks to white or red.

I think we're also making it difficult to create an consistent 'brand' and an iconic, recognisable strip.

We played in FULL sky blue from 1976/77 until 1985/86. so it is part of the clubs history.

The majority would agree that we should play in a blue shirt with white trim, and white shorts. Opinion seems to be split between dark blue socks and blue with maroon trim. We 'be played in dark blue socks for most of our history, but the maroon ones are popular because we were successful for the very short period of time we wore them. For me, the ideal city kit is a 'City Blue' top (which is ever so slightly darker/less washed out than sky blue!), white collar and sleeve trimmings, dark blue numbers and sponsors, white shorts and dark blue socks.

These teams changed and stuck with the new colours though? Can't think of many teams who change their colours every season like us. There wasn't even a splash of white in last season kit (except the 3 stripes on the badge). There'd be uproar if United changed their socks to white or red.

I think we're also making it difficult to create an consistent 'brand' and an iconic, recognisable strip.
You're right that most big English clubs don't change their kits too much but Barca and Bayern do. Barca have horizontal stripes this season and always alternate socks and shorts from blue to red. Bayern have no recognised kit other than they all have red as the main colour. Sometimes it's red stripes. I like the fact we change our style. Makes us more interesting than rags etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.