Bluemoon Angling Thread

Has anyone got any plans for the Glorious 16th June? I'm going to hold back until the Monday and do an overnighter on The Trent at Winthorpe for the barbel. For my summer barbel fishing I've moved my attentions from The Ribble to The Trent this year due to declining catches on The Ribble.

Also got a week booked on The Wye in September to include a day's shark fishing.

Has anyone got any plans for the Glorious 16th June? I'm going to hold back until the Monday and do an overnighter on The Trent at Winthorpe for the barbel. For my summer barbel fishing I've moved my attentions from The Ribble to The Trent this year due to declining catches on The Ribble.

Also got a week booked on The Wye in September to include a day's shark fishing.

Funny you should mention that. Can't get away on 16th but heading for the Wye, near Ross, on 17th through to 20th.

6 of us, old fogies, too old for roughing it we rent an old Cider Mill which is too luxurious for fishermen really.

This year, we've booked the stretch next to the accomodation for all 4 days and a couple of rods on different venues each day for variety.

The thing about the Wye is that, generally, you can fish civilised hours so it's fish all day then home for dinner, a glass of wine and world cup football. I cannot wait.

Funny you should mention that. Can't get away on 16th but heading for the Wye, near Ross, on 17th through to 20th.

6 of us, old fogies, too old for roughing it we rent an old Cider Mill which is too luxurious for fishermen really.

This year, we've booked the stretch next to the accomodation for all 4 days and a couple of rods on different venues each day for variety.

The thing about the Wye is that, generally, you can fish civilised hours so it's fish all day then home for dinner, a glass of wine and world cup football. I cannot wait.

Sounds great, mate. The Wye is the only major barbel river I've not fished yet. 2 of us have a cottage in Ross on Wye for the week and we are going to get out and explore every day. Let us know how you get on.

Gonna give bobs island on the trent a try, I think next week after the opening day madness has died down,heard good things and the trent is now the number 1 barbel river I believe.Any of you fellas fished it?

Sounds great, mate. The Wye is the only major barbel river I've not fished yet. 2 of us have a cottage in Ross on Wye for the week and we are going to get out and explore every day. Let us know how you get on.

You'll find the Wye the easiest river to catch barbel on. There's a reason most instructional videos are filmed there. Light years from the Ribble, the Dane and Severn all of which I fish regularly. Let us know how you go on on the Trent, not been for years.

Gonna give bobs island on the trent a try, I think next week after the opening day madness has died down,heard good things and the trent is now the number 1 barbel river I believe.Any of you fellas fished it?

Yes, fished it plenty in the past. You need to beef everything up to fish the Trent, especially after rain. Where do you normally do your barbel fishing?

You'll find the Wye the easiest river to catch barbel on. There's a reason most instructional videos are filmed there. Light years from the Ribble, the Dane and Severn all of which I fish regularly. Let us know how you go on on the Trent, not been for years.

After about 10 happy years I've taken the plunge to move my focus from The Ribble this season. I've still got my PAAS card but have let my RADAC one go. I feel that the numbers and sizes of the barbel are in serious decline. I haven't had a Ribble double in two seasons and I must have fished it 25 times in that period. 10 years ago I'd get several doubles each season.

Caught my first barbel and also first double on The Dane near Middlewich, and still fish it for grayling in winter. I also used to enjoy fishing The Severn and Atcham but haven't been there for a good few years either.

I'm very excited about The Wye. I like to fish the stick float and also for predators too, so am looking forward to some variety.

Yes, fished it plenty in the past. You need to beef everything up to fish the Trent, especially after rain. Where do you normally do your barbel fishing?
I've not fished for barble for over 20 years pal,used to fish the Severn on the Isle stretch when I was in the Albert and had some great fish,I'm not in any clubs now with rivers so limited to day ticket stretches.I'm dieing to get back on the river and a quick look on Google through up the Newark stretch on the trent.It's got good reviews and at two hours away isn't too bad.A pal of mine fishes the tidal and has had great success but it's a syndicate and closed shop.Gonna go with my old method of hemp and caster and see if I can tempt a few beauties!

I've not fished for barble for over 20 years pal,used to fish the Severn on the Isle stretch when I was in the Albert and had some great fish,I'm not in any clubs now with rivers so limited to day ticket stretches.I'm dieing to get back on the river and a quick look on Google through up the Newark stretch on the trent.It's got good reviews and at two hours away isn't too bad.A pal of mine fishes the tidal and has had great success but it's a syndicate and closed shop.Gonna go with my old method of hemp and caster and see if I can tempt a few beauties!

I wouldn't turn up on The Trent with a feeder rod, or a light barbel rod like you could on The Severn. You really need a minimum test curve of 1.75lb and if there's been any rain even heavier. I tend to use a couple of 2.25lb rods. Also, don't make the mistake I made on my first ever Trent trip and turn up with some bog standard feeders. They'll be winging their way towards the North sea within 2 seconds of casting out. You need 3-8oz minimum weight, an I wouldn't fish with line lighter than 10lb.

Hemp and caster will always catch fish, and you might bag some nice roach if that interests you. Halibut pellet is pretty much THE barbel bait these days, though. Your danger with hemp and caster is your bait might be whittled away by tiddlers every cast.

I wouldn't turn up on The Trent with a feeder rod, or a light barbel rod like you could on The Severn. You really need a minimum test curve of 1.75lb and if there's been any rain even heavier. I tend to use a couple of 2.25lb rods. Also, don't make the mistake I made on my first ever Trent trip and turn up with some bog standard feeders. They'll be winging their way towards the North sea within 2 seconds of casting out. You need 3-8oz minimum weight, an I wouldn't fish with line lighter than 10lb.

Hemp and caster will always catch fish, and you might bag some nice roach if that interests you. Halibut pellet is pretty much THE barbel bait these days, though. Your danger with hemp and caster is your bait might be whittled away by tiddlers every cast.
I haven’t fished for Barbel in nearly 50 years. When I did, as a lad, it was on the Yorkshire Swale near Easby Abbey. There was a bend in the river where a fallen tree had lodged on the edge of a ledge. You could wade out comfortably to this tree, sit in its branches just a couple of feet above the water and look down over the edge of the ledge into about 15 feet of crystal clear water. Shoals of Barbel used to hold in that pool and you could just sit and watch them, admiring their huge red fins and flashes of light bronze as they rolled. They ranged from quite small specimens up to 6 or 7lb in weight. Then you could lob in an arlsey bomb with a chunk of luncheon meat as bait and sit and watch. Sometimes they would take an hour to go to the bait but finally one would nose towards it, sometimes passing over it a couple of times but then engulfing it. Then the trick was to keep the first run out of the roots of the tree you were sitting in. Usually they would run away from you but occasionally they would get into the roots and that was that. Bloody hell they could fight. I have fly fished for trout for the last 20 years, but nothing comes close to the thrill of those Barbel when I was a young un. It’s on my bucket list but sadly the river bend at Easby looks different, the tree is long gone and I understand Barbel are a lot harder to come by.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.