Bluemoon Angling Thread

I remember when Rutland first opened, used to be Empingham reservoir. My Dad worked for the Anglian water authority, I remember going out there and seeing it before it opened. Stamford is a really nice small town
Its now the most successful breeding ground in England for Ospreys. There are 22 breeding pairs this year. Not bad for a bird that was introduced less than 20 years ago. It must have been amazing seeing it built. Anglian Water have done a fantastic job in building the water into a world class public amenity. Their fishery staff are very knowledgable and helpful too. It is very naturalised now. The Hambleton peninsula is covered in bluebells at this time of year. Stunning.

I used to be fishing mad.
From about the age of 11 onwards it was my whole life. Skipping school to go fishing got me into a bit of trouble, but i didn't care.
Getting up at "silly o'clock" with the anticipation of the days catch was addictive. Started off at Gorton reservoir, then the local canals. I had absolutely no money, so helped out in Chris's tackle shop on Hyde road. I joined a few fishing clubs including the Bullshead Reddish. Went on one of the Bobby Charlton's sport school fishing courses. Met Alan/Chris Mayer and was soon match fishing. I was doing ok and was being talked to about England juniors. Trouble was i was nearly 16 by then, so had to start working.
I still fished whenever possible. Me and Cockney Bob the landlord of the Royal Oak (Gorton) started touring the country. I started fly fishing and really enjoyed it. But the one thing i really wanted to do was sea fishing. I had done some shore fishing, but it really wasn't for me. Either was Carp fishing. Like golfers, i find Carp fisherman to be a bit odd!
So i came up with a daft idea to how to get sea fishing and earn some extra money. I bought a big red mini bus. Had it sign written "Sea fishing trips", and drove it around Manchester. Well it worked, because people started phoning me, but were asking if it was a joke. But soon i had dozens of pubs on my books and a lot of the train crews, even the lads at BJ car spares(Gorton) were up for it!
The first few trips were a steep learning curve. But i eventually got the hang of it. I would book trips on my weekends off. Pick a dozen lads up from their local pub, and bus them to the boats. It was mainly Whitby, Ryhl and Anglesey, but we did venture further afield. I think i charged about £35 per head. That included the transport/boat fee. The boat cost me about £150-£180, so i was on £200 to go fishing!
You can imagine a dozen lads, a mountain of beer, and a rocking boat. There are a few stories i could tell, but most trips were hilarious.
Then suddenly when i was about 30, the fishing seemed to stop overnight. I think i just fell out of the habit. I'm 47 now and really want to get started again. None of my mates fish, so i'm out of touch with the whole scene.

I'm going to Greenbooth reservoir 2moro at first light.
Spinning for pike.
Had a couple of 20s last spring.
It holds bigger as I've had them on and seen them turn away from my lures at the last second.
Talking to a fella up there last year and he was saying that he landed a 36 a couple of years ago.

Is this water day ticket or a club water ?

Is this water day ticket or a club water ?
It's owned by United utilities.
Totally free.
It's a huge water to the north of rochdale.
You can pretty much drive up to it.
Never even been asked for my rod licence on it and I've fished it for 40 years.
It can get pretty cold if the wind is blowing so take a flask.

Last edited:
How you get on Andy?
Had one about 8lb.
One other take but never hooked it.
Only did 3 hours.
I'll have another bash at the place in the summer when the water is lower.
You get a fair few lads up there then , fishing dead baits 8 -10 feet deep.
I just spin around them.
Bit cheeky but fuck em.

I used to be fishing mad.
From about the age of 11 onwards it was my whole life. Skipping school to go fishing got me into a bit of trouble, but i didn't care.
Getting up at "silly o'clock" with the anticipation of the days catch was addictive. Started off at Gorton reservoir, then the local canals. I had absolutely no money, so helped out in Chris's tackle shop on Hyde road. I joined a few fishing clubs including the Bullshead Reddish. Went on one of the Bobby Charlton's sport school fishing courses. Met Alan/Chris Mayer and was soon match fishing. I was doing ok and was being talked to about England juniors. Trouble was i was nearly 16 by then, so had to start working.
I still fished whenever possible. Me and Cockney Bob the landlord of the Royal Oak (Gorton) started touring the country. I started fly fishing and really enjoyed it. But the one thing i really wanted to do was sea fishing. I had done some shore fishing, but it really wasn't for me. Either was Carp fishing. Like golfers, i find Carp fisherman to be a bit odd!
So i came up with a daft idea to how to get sea fishing and earn some extra money. I bought a big red mini bus. Had it sign written "Sea fishing trips", and drove it around Manchester. Well it worked, because people started phoning me, but were asking if it was a joke. But soon i had dozens of pubs on my books and a lot of the train crews, even the lads at BJ car spares(Gorton) were up for it!
The first few trips were a steep learning curve. But i eventually got the hang of it. I would book trips on my weekends off. Pick a dozen lads up from their local pub, and bus them to the boats. It was mainly Whitby, Ryhl and Anglesey, but we did venture further afield. I think i charged about £35 per head. That included the transport/boat fee. The boat cost me about £150-£180, so i was on £200 to go fishing!
You can imagine a dozen lads, a mountain of beer, and a rocking boat. There are a few stories i could tell, but most trips were hilarious.
Then suddenly when i was about 30, the fishing seemed to stop overnight. I think i just fell out of the habit. I'm 47 now and really want to get started again. None of my mates fish, so i'm out of touch with the whole scene.
Good post.

I used to organise sea fishing trips from a place I worked about 20 years ago. We had a minibus funded by our sports and social club, and there was about a dozen each trip to Whitby or Bridlington. I had my own perk gear for cod, reel loaded with 30lb braid. Rest of the lads would hire the crap tackle of the skipper using line as stretchy as bungee chord. No good for perking as you hardly get a tap on the rod tip at 100ft deep. We had a sweepstake every trip and I'd win most of them, mainly through experience and using braid. Still got my gear but not been sea fishing in years.

I fished the Lake of Menteith on Monday. True to say it was not the most successful outing of the season so far. I was very expert though at locating where the trout weren’t and fishing for them with methods that didn’t work. Still, it was a beautiful day to be out and a bad days fishing is still better than a good days work.

I'm trying Ladywood lakes in Huddersfield this weekend.
Had word that it's fishing it's head off.
Don't know how to post the link.
Computer halfwit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.