Bluemoon Angling Thread

Where did you go PF ,like to try new venues,think I’m going to partridge lakes tomorrow and have a go
hiya mate, sorry only just seen your post, im a member of bay Malton i went onto the speci lake at border fisheries, members only, partridge is a really well kept place, think you need to book before going, i usually go on holbar when i go there, carp , barbel and a lovely cafe :), my mate who i fish with goes there 2 or 3 times a week for the matches

international-3-1024x683.jpg

Out on the wonderful Lake of Menteith on Tuesday next week. The weather forecast looks perfect for dry fly fishing, gentle breeze and overcast. Currently the fish are averaging above 3lb, a perfect weight if you like a fight. Cant wait.

On Monday I had a day on Coldingham loch. Weather was warm, up about 18c, overcast and light winds. The fish hadn't yet thrown off their summer laziness and weren't feeding with any real enthusiasm. Its no wonder really as the loch is a natural larder with huge insect hatches and lots of terrestials and fry so they really don't need to move far for a feed. I had a couple on dries, a fly called a big red:
View attachment 2534

and one on a candy booby by lunch.

As the fish weren't exactly throwing themselves on the hook, i thought i would try something different, a bung arrangement. A bung is a sight indicator which sits above a single or team of flies and has the duel purpose of suspending the flies static in the water and also (like a float) indicating a take when the bung disappears. Here is a competition standard bung:

View attachment 2535

Some fly fisherman have a bit of an attitude towards fishing a bung; 'its not true fly fishing' they say. Not me, I think its a perfectly valid method when the trout prefer their food completely static in the water (which they sometimes do). Anyway, on went the bung with a millenium bug suspended about three feet under it.

View attachment 2536
Millenium Bug

This proved to be a bit of a game changer and I took another half dozen trout in the afternoon on that setup.

So finished with a creditable 9 on a day when many struggled.
this might be a silly question as your name is saddleworth , do you live in Scotland ,or on a fishing holiday

my tip is, whatever you do, don’t try to lose your barbel virginity on The Dee. There are hardly any. You need to learn the ropes on a river with some in, as you don’t learn without getting bites. If you don’t mind travelling The Severn is ideal for your purposes. Otherwise The Dane has a lot more than The Dee.
I've never fished the Dee but I know it's not known for barbel. I've haven't read of barbel being caught from there in the angling press but there could be the odd stretch in the upper reaches where they are present in small numbers. Will definitely will be challenging catching one on the Dee I think.

@Blue_eyes Like DD says, the Severn is stuffed with barbel and a good river to target as is the Dane. In normal flow conditions in summer they prefer oxygenated water, and downstream pegs of weirs on a gravel bottom is where barbel will be especially amongst streamer weed. 3-6 feet deep gravel bottom glides are perfect for barbel, also good swims are often the outside of bends where the flow is stronger. Smaller Barbel(2-7lb) are shoal fish and provide good sport when you get them going. Bigger barbel often like deeper holes just off the main flow of the river and are much more wary of a feeder full of bait splashing in every chuck. Specimen sized fish tend to feed most confidently at night and I've caught bigger fish a couple of hours into darkness. Around 11pm seems to be a good time for some unknown reason when the bigger fish feed. Also crack of dawn is a good time to fish.

Don't fish for them with tackle not up to the job. 1.5lb TC rod is a minimum,1.75lb tip rod is better. 8-10lb reel line. A simple running feeder rig to a 18-24" hooklength with a strong hook correctly tied is a must as barbel are very powerful fish when they realise they are hooked and this is when most crack offs occur so pay particular attention to tying knots correctly. 10lb line may seem like overkill but if you hook into a specimen size fish with the mentality of a runaway train you soon realise the need for heavy gear, and they can easily snap 10lb main line!

I've never fished the Dee but I know it's not known for barbel. I've haven't read of barbel being caught from there in the angling press but there could be the odd stretch in the upper reaches where they are present in small numbers. Will definitely will be challenging catching one on the Dee I think.

@Blue_eyes Like DD says, the Severn is stuffed with barbel and a good river to target as is the Dane. In normal flow conditions in summer they prefer oxygenated water, and downstream pegs of weirs on a gravel bottom is where barbel will be especially amongst streamer weed. 3-6 feet deep gravel bottom glides are perfect for barbel, also good swims are often the outside of bends where the flow is stronger. Smaller Barbel(2-7lb) are shoal fish and provide good sport when you get them going. Bigger barbel often like deeper holes just off the main flow of the river and are much more wary of a feeder full of bait splashing in every chuck. Specimen sized fish tend to feed most confidently at night and I've caught bigger fish a couple of hours into darkness. Around 11pm seems to be a good time for some unknown reason when the bigger fish feed. Also crack of dawn is a good time to fish.

Don't fish for them with tackle not up to the job. 1.5lb TC rod is a minimum,1.75lb tip rod is better. 8-10lb reel line. A simple running feeder rig to a 18-24" hooklength with a strong hook correctly tied is a must as barbel are very powerful fish when they realise they are hooked and this is when most crack offs occur so pay particular attention to tying knots correctly. 10lb line may seem like overkill but if you hook into a specimen size fish with the mentality of a runaway train you soon realise the need for heavy gear, and they can easily snap 10lb main line!

Good post and I second your point about knots: in my experience many many fish are lost due to bad knots, but anglers blame the line. If you're using mono or flouro you need to properly tie a knotless knot to a hook or a tucked half blood knot to a swivel. If you don't tuck it, and bed it down slowly after spitting on it, you will probably lose 50% of your line capacity. If you go for a braid hooklengh you need a five turn grinner. With carp and barbel fishing, 10-12lb line with these knots is rock solid and very difficult to snap even if you try.

I had an hour with the lure rod the evening before last and managed one little perch.

hiya mate, sorry only just seen your post, im a member of bay Malton i went onto the speci lake at border fisheries, members only, partridge is a really well kept place, think you need to book before going, i usually go on holbar when i go there, carp , barbel and a lovely cafe :), my mate who i fish with goes there 2 or 3 times a week for the matches
Hi mate heard a lot of good things about border fisheries all good,ye went to partridge today didn’t need to book as not as busy ,been a couple of times now and have had good days ,today was a bit slow at first ,but picked up and had about 20 fish out of ribbon lake ,went to look at Holbar and going to try and get on it next week ,cheers for the info

Hi mate heard a lot of good things about border fisheries all good,ye went to partridge today didn’t need to book as not as busy ,been a couple of times now and have had good days ,today was a bit slow at first ,but picked up and had about 20 fish out of ribbon lake ,went to look at Holbar and going to try and get on it next week ,cheers for the info

tried to upload a pic, :(if you are after barbel as well as carp go across the foot bridge there's a peg with an island right in front ,cast over to the reeds on the right and ive seen loads come out of there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.