Bluemoon Angling Thread

I was just looking back at my season which will close down in the next few weeks. Its been a good one, my first as a member at Coldingham which fished well all season, final of the national for the first time, successful trip down to Pitsford. Two blanks in 32 sessions with a rod average around 5. Its not the numbers that bother me but the stuff that sticks in my mind that I use for 'mindfulness' and to make me feel good when I'm down. The stoat bouncing along the bank, the ospreys fishing right in front of us, the large naturalised rainbow taking a shield bug in not three feet of water. Good company in a boat and meeting new folk. Most of all, the take of a fish when fishing dries - i'm not sure there is anything equivalent in course fishing -maybe fishing floating crusts for carp?

Whatever, I know I couldn't do without it, it enriches the heart, soul and mind and I thank god for it every day when so much in the world is utter shite. I bet you guys have very similar feelings.

I was just looking back at my season which will close down in the next few weeks. Its been a good one, my first as a member at Coldingham which fished well all season, final of the national for the first time, successful trip down to Pitsford. Two blanks in 32 sessions with a rod average around 5. Its not the numbers that bother me but the stuff that sticks in my mind that I use for 'mindfulness' and to make me feel good when I'm down. The stoat bouncing along the bank, the ospreys fishing right in front of us, the large naturalised rainbow taking a shield bug in not three feet of water. Good company in a boat and meeting new folk. Most of all, the take of a fish when fishing dries - i'm not sure there is anything equivalent in course fishing -maybe fishing floating crusts for carp?

Whatever, I know I couldn't do without it, it enriches the heart, soul and mind and I thank god for it every day when so much in the world is utter shite. I bet you guys have very similar feelings.
Absolutely mate. A day by the water is brilliant medicine / thinking space.

Yup, great season described there and, hopefully, so much to look forward to before we go to "that bourne whence no traveller returns".

Until 1992 I never fished a river, my fishing being confined to a few lakes and the canals. Consequently I stopped fishing in November and didn't start again until March. When my eldest was born, my ex-wife being a nurse working weekends, that meant I hardly fished at all.

So, in 1992, in order to extend my fishing I took to rivers in search of winter chub and I haven't looked back since. My best memories come from fishing with my two lads one of whom is now somewhere in the Middle East with the army and the other is in Japan. Winter Olympic breakfasts at the Little Thief on the way to the Derwent or the Severn live long in the memory. I miss them.

But plenty of adventures beckon and I'll be seeking for some large perch this Winter.

Floater fishing for carp is more like hunting, you are concentrating like a fox, in the zone, heart pumping, willing that carp not to ignore yours as it approaches. More comparable to yours is visible pike take on a lure which is one of the most exciting things in Coarse fishing because it tend to give you a massive shock after you’ve been walking and casting for ages. Barbel fishing for me is more about the beauty and serenity of a lovely looking river during a summer dusk, and feeling at one with the nature around you. Long stay carp fishing (and “carbelling” which is what BMR is doing right now) is like a test match compared to the one day international of barbel fishing. More involved ,more rewarding and more about living there, using real skill, and maybe having a spliff or beer alone or with a mate. Trotting and wading a river for me is more about feeling totally immersed in nature. It should be done, like barbel fishing, in a beautiful place.

The beauty of fishing is its endless variety for me. I’m going out now with a lure rod for a few hours actually. Great post fella and I’m pleased your season has gone so well. Mine has been interesting and I’ve caught two PBs, a perch and a grayling, so I’ve got to be pleased with that.

Decided to stay another night after getting heavier leads to hold bottom. Thought I'd take a chance in not attracting the bream so mixed a kilo of groundbait adding a few loose offerings in the mix. I've put about 8 large feeders full above my top rod out and now I'm on PVA bags filled with pellets and broken boilies.

When a river is pulling hard and fast a good tip is to leave the bail-arm open when your lead or feeder hits the water. Allow about 10ft or so to peel off the reel and this will cause a bow in the line allowing the bomb/feeder swivel to point upstream instead of the line being tight with it facing side on against the flow. This also reduces leaves and debris to gather on the point where the line meets the water.

I don't think I'll be too busy tonight but I am hopeful of at least one good barbel.

I used to see a guy on the canal all through lockdown he fishes Rudyard for silvers, he told me about being plagued by pike
Mentioned this before but I caught my first pike on Rudyard when I was about 8 or nine. A fiesty jack weighing 3.7lb taking my single bronze maggot on a gold colour 22s hook when I was reeling my feeder in. I nearly shit myself when I saw it's teeth! I asked if we could eat it and my dad said yes so he knocked it on the head and took it home. He gutted and soaked it in salty water a day before filleting it. It tasted ok but was full of bones from what I can remember.

i've not been on a commercial for months, you'll usually find me on the macc canal,(poynton,adlington ,i need to broaden my canal repertoire ) i'm still a bit out of my comfort zone on canals even though i really enjoy them and am getting there , i do enjoy lymm dam, though i haven't been there for a few months or caught a fish since i started my predator career :)

Mentioned this before but I caught my first pike on Rudyard when I was about 8 or nine. A fiesty jack weighing 3.7lb taking my single bronze maggot on a gold colour 22s hook when I was reeling my feeder in. I nearly shit myself when I saw it's teeth! I asked if we could eat it and my dad said yes so he knocked it on the head and took it home. He gutted and soaked it in salty water a day before filleting it. It tasted ok but was full of bones from what I can remember.
A mate landed a 4lb jack from the backwater at Hr Poynton, decided he would take it home and cook it. Gave it a hefty whack on the skull, wrapped it in polythene, put it in his tackle box. Couple of hours later, in the station waiting room, the bugger came round....
Anyway, tasted muddy ? and was full of thin flexible bones.

A mate landed a 4lb jack from the backwater at Hr Poynton, decided he would take it home and cook it. Gave it a hefty whack on the skull, wrapped it in polythene, put it in his tackle box. Couple of hours later, in the station waiting room, the bugger came round....
Anyway, tasted muddy ? and was full of thin flexible bones.
Wtf would you want to eat a pike

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.