Bluemoon C-V Fitness thread

Starting yoga around 6 months ago was one of the best things I’ve done SWP.
Links with meditation too...strengthens your core but definitely helps well being.

also...a kettlebell might be one if the best pieces of kit you can grab. Total body workout.
Look up pavel tsatouline - he brought the kettlebell over to the west.
Clams the swing is the best workout (followed by deadlifting) over anything else.
Strength is v important (feeds into mitochondrial health).

https://www.strongfirst.com/about/pavel-tsatsouline/

I've just started yoga with little miss DD (she is 22) it's the 30 day plan on YouTube I've also today bought some boxing pads so we can get doing our own boxercise routines, but again we'll follow something on YouTube. It was a class we both really enjoyed at Puregym

I've just started yoga with little miss DD (she is 22) it's the 30 day plan on YouTube I've also today bought some boxing pads so we can get doing our own boxercise routines, but again we'll follow something on YouTube. It was a class we both really enjoyed at Puregym

nice work DD
When this (eventually ) blows over maybe think of a group yoga class. I’ve got lots of benefits from it not only wellbeing and strength but it knocks out and self consciousness you may have. I do Vinyassa with meditation but you have to find something that you like. Gyms often have these as part of their membership.

good luck and keep up with it

What’s everyone’s take it on over running abs the suppression of your immune system?
Must be a tenuous line between boosting it by keeping fit and knackering it over training.
Just a bit wary tis all. I’ve been doing 10k’s on consecutive days and feel good bar slight leg aches (I’m more of a gym/strength fan of late).

Rather than clog up the running thread I thought id throw what ive been doing in here.

Been going for a 5k walk every lunch and just this week I have dusted off an old bike and got back on the road. Doing 9k bike ride in around 30mins so still pretty slow at the moment but easing my way into it. I have an old specialized road bike that I think im going to get some new tyres and tubes for and use that. I am using a Carrerra Crossfire at the minute as it was the only one that was ready to go.

Having been round the roads near me and found they are a bit crap really and not smooth or debris free like I thought they were I am a bit concerned about using the Specialized, especially as it will have road tyres on etc, but perhaps they are tougher than I think they are?

Need to sort my diet out still but working on that, getting in good lunch meals and dinners. Just need to cut the snacks. I have been burning around 900 calories with my walking and cycling apparently so been treating myself but definitely keeping an eye on the calories in the treats so I know I haven't gone over.

While I’m not up and about all day like I am when in work, I’ve only been eating one main healthy meal/feast each day (around mid-afternoon). With a banana and coffee for breakfast, and some nuts and berries early evening.

Drinking lots of water.

I’ve been alternating days of work and exercise days, trying to do different exercise sessions each time.

I have a one-speed road bike which is very difficult to ride uphill, which is what I wanted from it so it’s a proper workout. Depending on how hill-y the ride I get through between 7 and 20 miles in the cycle sessions.

Being a decent skipper I bought a skipping rope and do the odd skip session.

I have resistance bands and been doing body weight and band sessions in the flat. Either full body, or lower body one session and upper body another session. Although I’ve found it hard finding something to do pull-ups on because I’m proper heavy, managed to open the loft hatch and do it there but there’s not much to grip onto.

Also been for 4-6 mile walks.

And from tomorrow I’m going to add a basketball session in the park now they’re open again.

I don’t have any scales so don’t know how much I’ve lost but my clothes are much looser on me. I was once an 18 stone PT working out every day but went off the rails and at my unhealthy heaviest in about 2014 I weighed 21 ½ stone. Before lockdown I was 20st 2lbs but pretty healthy with that, not noticeably fat, maybe a bit round the torso.

But I look in decent shape now. Selfishly, this lockdown has done me the world of good!

I’m doing the ‘Everest in May’ biking challenge, which is 8,848 vertical metres. A bit late for the rest of you as we’re halfway through May, but ‘Everest in 30 days’ is a good target if you’re inspired.

I am doing it on a Mountain bike, but you can do it on road bikes too (easier I’m sure, based on the numbers that pass me each ride!)

Only dusted the bike off at Lockdown, having not cycled for a few years, and mid 40’s, so I am by no means a hardcore cyclist/fitness fanatic.

Got a 55km/1,132 m ride in yesterday, and well ahead of target.

Really enjoying it and getting into it.

While I’m not up and about all day like I am when in work, I’ve only been eating one main healthy meal/feast each day (around mid-afternoon). With a banana and coffee for breakfast, and some nuts and berries early evening.

Drinking lots of water.

I’ve been alternating days of work and exercise days, trying to do different exercise sessions each time.

I have a one-speed road bike which is very difficult to ride uphill, which is what I wanted from it so it’s a proper workout. Depending on how hill-y the ride I get through between 7 and 20 miles in the cycle sessions.

Being a decent skipper I bought a skipping rope and do the odd skip session.

I have resistance bands and been doing body weight and band sessions in the flat. Either full body, or lower body one session and upper body another session. Although I’ve found it hard finding something to do pull-ups on because I’m proper heavy, managed to open the loft hatch and do it there but there’s not much to grip onto.

Also been for 4-6 mile walks.

And from tomorrow I’m going to add a basketball session in the park now they’re open again.

I don’t have any scales so don’t know how much I’ve lost but my clothes are much looser on me. I was once an 18 stone PT working out every day but went off the rails and at my unhealthy heaviest in about 2014 I weighed 21 ½ stone. Before lockdown I was 20st 2lbs but pretty healthy with that, not noticeably fat, maybe a bit round the torso.

But I look in decent shape now. Selfishly, this lockdown has done me the world of good!
What size gear do you have on the one speed road bike? Is it fixed or free wheel? As a winter trainer/commuter I used to regularly ride a fixed gear of 42x16 (69 inches on 700c wheel). Could not get up steep hills though (say >15%).

ok,im a heavy smoker,quite unfit and slightly over weight,however I feel its time to change,we actually have a gym at home(bike,running machine,boxing punch bag, and other bits and pieces ,so tomorrow when my bullworker comes im starting a fitness regime ,are bullworker all they are cracked up to be,i just want to loose weight(about a stone) and tone up, obviously diet is important as well, ill cut out the white bread and only have one sugar in my brew, wish me luck :)

haha just discussing having a takeaway for tea whilst I type this :)

What size gear do you have on the one speed road bike? Is it fixed or free wheel? As a winter trainer/commuter I used to regularly ride a fixed gear of 42x16 (69 inches on 700c wheel). Could not get up steep hills though (say >15%).
44/17t Free-wheel.

Hills are a killer but a great satisfaction when legs are burning and it starts to level out. I was going up one the other week and people were walking past me more quickly. A few times I’ve had to get off and walk it up.

Almost as hard is trying to get going at the lights off the spot when buses and wagons are going past me. Like a wobbly dog with three legs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.