Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

8. Alien 12/124

View attachment 4621

Alien is a 1979 science fiction horror film directed by Ridley Scott and written by Dan O'Bannon. Based on a story by O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett, it follows the crew of the commercial space tug Nostromo, who encounter the eponymous Alien, a deadly and aggressive extraterrestrial set loose on the ship. The film stars Tom Skerritt, Sigourney Weaver, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm, and Yaphet Kotto. It was produced by Gordon Carroll, David Giler, and Walter Hill through their company Brandywine Productions, and was distributed by 20th Century Fox. Giler and Hill revised and made additions to the script; Shusett was executive producer. The Alien and its accompanying artifacts were designed by the Swiss artist H. R. Giger, while concept artists Ron Cobb and Chris Foss designed the more human settings.

Alien premiered May 25, 1979, as the opening night of the fourth Seattle International Film Festival, presented in 70mm at midnight before receiving a wide release on June 22, and was released September 6 in the United Kingdom. It was met with critical acclaim and box-office success, winning the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, three Saturn Awards (Best Science Fiction Film, Best Direction for Scott, and Best Supporting Actress for Cartwright), and a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, along with numerous other nominations. It has been consistently praised in the years since its release, and is considered one of the greatest films of all time. In 2002, Alien was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. In 2008, it was ranked by the American Film Institute as the seventh-best film in the science-fiction genre, and as the 33rd-greatest film of all time by Empire.

The success of Alien spawned a media franchise of films, novels, comic books, video games, and toys. It also launched Weaver's acting career, providing her with her first lead role. The story of her character's encounters with the Alien creatures became the thematic and narrative core of the sequels Aliens (1986), Alien 3 (1992), and Alien Resurrection (1997). A crossover with the Predator franchise produced the Alien vs. Predator films, which includes Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007). A prequel series includes Prometheus (2012) and Alien: Covenant (2017), both directed by Scott.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

H.R. Giger also designed the album cover for Emerson Lake and Palmer's brilliant Brain Salad Surgery.

The movie is all around one of the best designed ever.

I voted for this movie too.

I prefer Aliens to Alien but it’s undoubtedly one of the best atmospheric horrors ever made.

Alien >>> Aliens
T1 >>> T2

The debate is settled, the BlueMoon forum has spoken.
Good call.

Couldnt agree more. Although Aliens is great, I cant stand T2. Arnie was too big a star by the time T2 came out, so they had to make him a 'good' Terminator. Even when hes bad in the beginning, all he does is fling those bikers about and steal their clothes, boots and motorcycle. Oh and shades. Far too sympathetic. Compare that to the original where he slaughters the 3 punks. And the less said about that annoying, cocky little shit Furlong the better. Singlehandedly ruined the rest of the film, like Jeremy Davies in Saving Private Ryan.

Couldnt agree more. Although Aliens is great, I cant stand T2. Arnie was too big a star by the time T2 came out, so they had to make him a 'good' Terminator. Even when hes bad in the beginning, all he does is fling those bikers about and steal their clothes, boots and motorcycle. Oh and shades. Far too sympathetic. Compare that to the original where he slaughters the 3 punks. And the less said about that annoying, cocky little shit Furlong the better. Singlehandedly ruined the rest of the film, like Jeremy Davies in Saving Private Ryan.
Obviously going for more of a kids market.
T1 - 18 cert.
T2 - 15

yeh but T2 had the liquid man, who was awesome.

Well, we've had a lot of good films so far, and some odd choices (I'm looking at you "Step Brothers"), but with 10 to go, I thought I'd take a punt at what the top 10 might be. This is based not on my personal choices (only two of these are in my top #20), but on a combination of classic films that usually pop up in these things. There's four in here that I haven't even seen.

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Godfather Part II
5. Goodfellas
6. Alien
7. Blade Runner
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Gladiator
Excellent guesses so far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.