Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Great film. Looks like going to be some big films from the 70’s missing from the Top 100. Towering Inferno, Papillon, The French Connection, Poseidon Adventure (not the shitty remake obviously). Looking like a gangster heavy top 4 now!
Missed putting Towering Inferno in my top 20. Must be finest cast assembled of all time. Always have to watch whenever it's on

I had hoped this film would make top ten (I had it at 6), as posted earlier I saw it many times and it was at that time my favourite film. Audiences loved it, and it was seen as a family summer "blockbuster". It boasts a great cast including the brilliant Robert Shaw who steals the show as Quint, and has that perfect Spielberg mix of exciting set pieces and jump scares, a monster that is just visual enough (and potentially real),and the films pace increases as the film progresses, all set to a superb sound track.

As discussed earlier, there is some disturbing content for family audiences including child death and severed limbs etc, but this just served to make the film more talked about at the time, and really cemented Spielbergs place as a top director. That scene where the shark first shows itself to the three protagonists on Quints boat is pure Spielberg, the jumpscare of "you,re gonna need a bigger boat" then the music and awe as it swims by, and not forgetting the drunken USS Indiannapolis speech.

It has probably lost some impact over the years and anyone watching it for the first time now might not be impressed with the fx etc. However, it was big news back in the seventies and for all the enjoyment it gave me at that time I had no doubts about it being in my top ten.

So many great scenes in the film don't really on the SFX, which means it still really holds up for me. I suspect the CGI generation won't be so impressed though.

Not this year it didn't

That's actually from 2007, but fair enough. So all it would take is about 30 non-American films or films from the past 13 years to knock it out of their top 100. Shouldn't be too hard. ;)

It doesn't get in the BFI top 100 list either. The directors' list or the critics' list.

Anyway, I watched the King of Comedy tonight. That was good. Now I'm going to watch Joker and see how much it's ripped off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.