Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Still great, despite the rubber shark.
Came out right at the time I started open sea swimming races with the club I was with.
1976 & 77 in particular was a great summer.
This films put the heebie-jeebies up me for years. Particularly as a Baskin shark had been spotted off Lambay Island just a week before I was due to swim the Ireland's Eye to Howth Head race.
I was only 14 years old and the older guys were having great craic scaring the younger lads.
I had no idea at the time that Baskin Sharks were harmless, just that judging by the picture taken from the yacht the week before, they were huge.

Jaws scared a lot of people out of the water back in the 70's.
Bibi?

What certificate was jaws on release? I'm totally convinced I saw it when I was about 9 at the cinema

Pretty sure it was an A cert, which meant that a child could watch if accompanied by an adult. There being U,...suitable for anyone, A...as explained, AA....14 years and older, and X....adults only, at that time. I had a strong family tie with a cinema during the 70s and watched practically every film there during those years, I was 11 at the time.

It was a masterstroke to get it through as an A rating as this widened its shockable audience by millions, and as someone who saw it many times during its cinema release, that "head popping out the boat" moment drew the biggest gasps from the audience that I ever saw.

Jaws was another great film watched for the first time. Think I'd have been around 11 or 12 and remember being giddy with excitement when I saw it amongst the 5 videos for £3 my dad brought back from whatever the fuck the local video shop was called back then.
Seen it again when I was in my 20's and still held its own as an enjoyable watch.
Never felt the inclination to see it again. Wouldn't be in my 20 but understand why others would have it in theirs.

If anyone has a Top 100 without Shawshank, they're doing it to be different.

It's like leaving The Beatles out of a Top 100 greatest band poll

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.