Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Great film. Looks like going to be some big films from the 70’s missing from the Top 100. Towering Inferno, Papillon, The French Connection, Poseidon Adventure (not the shitty remake obviously). Looking like a gangster heavy top 4 now!

Great film. Looks like going to be some big films from the 70’s missing from the Top 100. Towering Inferno, Papillon, The French Connection, Poseidon Adventure (not the shitty remake obviously). Looking like a gangster heavy top 4 now!
The Morrissey biop England Is Mine still has to come in...... I know of at least 34 of "us" who voted it in 1st place.....

And Carry On Camping still to come too ;)

I loved the Towering Inferno and Poseidon at the time. Star studded disaster movies - great fun.

Was too young for FC at the time but it's a classic.

5. Jaws 17/194

View attachment 4799

Jaws is a 1975 American thriller film directed by Steven Spielberg and based on Peter Benchley's 1974 novel of the same name. In the film, a man-eating great white shark attacks beachgoers at a summer resort town, prompting police chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) to hunt it with the help of a marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a professional shark hunter (Robert Shaw). Murray Hamilton plays the mayor, and Lorraine Gary portrays Brody's wife. The screenplay is credited to Benchley, who wrote the first drafts, and actor-writer Carl Gottlieb, who rewrote the script during principal photography.

Shot mostly on location on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, Jaws was the first major motion picture to be shot on the ocean, and resultingly had a troubled production, going over budget and past schedule. As the art department's mechanical sharks often malfunctioned, Spielberg decided to mostly suggest the shark's presence, employing an ominous and minimalist theme created by composer John Williams to indicate its impending appearances. Spielberg and others have compared this suggestive approach to that of director Alfred Hitchcock. Universal Pictures gave the film what was then an exceptionally wide release for a major studio picture, on over 450 screens, accompanied by an extensive marketing campaign with a heavy emphasis on television spots and tie-in merchandise.

Jaws was the prototypical summer blockbuster, regarded as a watershed moment in motion picture history, and it won several awards for its music and editing. It was the highest-grossing film until the release of Star Wars in 1977. Both films were pivotal in establishing the modern Hollywood business model, which pursues high box-office returns from action and adventure films with simple high-concept premises, released during the summer in thousands of theaters and heavily advertised. Jaws was followed by three sequels, all with neither Spielberg nor Benchley, and many imitative thrillers. In 2001, it was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

I had hoped this film would make top ten (I had it at 6), as posted earlier I saw it many times and it was at that time my favourite film. Audiences loved it, and it was seen as a family summer "blockbuster". It boasts a great cast including the brilliant Robert Shaw who steals the show as Quint, and has that perfect Spielberg mix of exciting set pieces and jump scares, a monster that is just visual enough (and potentially real),and the films pace increases as the film progresses, all set to a superb sound track.

As discussed earlier, there is some disturbing content for family audiences including child death and severed limbs etc, but this just served to make the film more talked about at the time, and really cemented Spielbergs place as a top director. That scene where the shark first shows itself to the three protagonists on Quints boat is pure Spielberg, the jumpscare of "you,re gonna need a bigger boat" then the music and awe as it swims by, and not forgetting the drunken USS Indiannapolis speech.

It has probably lost some impact over the years and anyone watching it for the first time now might not be impressed with the fx etc. However, it was big news back in the seventies and for all the enjoyment it gave me at that time I had no doubts about it being in my top ten.

Yeah, like those attention seekers who compiled the American Film Institute's top 100 American films and left it out.

Not this year it didn't

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.