Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Yes, I think you summed it up perfectly - it may be set in a different time and place, and OK, none of us found a dead body (I assume!), but it captures that whole nostalgic summer/outdoors feel better than any other film.
'You never have friends later on in life like when you were 12' is very powerful and resonates really strongly with me and i think it does for a lot of blokes. I didnt find a dead body either just to confirm.

'You never have friends later on in life like when you were 12' is very powerful and resonates really strongly with me and i think it does for a lot of blokes. I didnt find a dead body either just to confirm.
I thought King captures 'childhood an teenage' exceptionally well and far better than most. He returns to it many times in his books. Off the top of my head; IT, The Shining, Stand by Me, Pet Semetary, Cujo, Christine, Carrie, Apt Pupil all were written through the eyes of a child/teenager.

By the way, if anybody has any recommendations for films that are similar in tone to "Stand By me", I'm all ears.

Two that I can think of in the last 10 years that I enjoyed immensely were: "Mud" and "The Kings of Summer".

The Sandlot (1993)
*The Way, Way Back (2013)
*Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)

*Explores the theme of one kid and his adventures over summer.

Thanks.

Seen "The Way, Way Back" and enjoyed it.

Got "Peanut Butter Falcon" on my to watch list - I notice it's free for Amazon Prime subscribers.

Will check "The Sandlot" out.

By the way, if anybody has any recommendations for films that are similar in tone to "Stand By me", I'm all ears.
A story about Sean Astin and 3 of his closest friends going on a journey?

Nope, can't think of anything.....

To me it reminded me a lot of John Hughes' 1980s stuff in tone. Things like The Breakfast Club, even though it's quite a bit different. I think it's just the idea of a film that writes decent child characters, but most of them don't.

Hope there's a certain John Hughes film in the Top 40 (two of them actually), and another Sean Astin film.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.