Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Stand by me would have been in my top 5 with True Romance top 10.
Two fabulous movies for very different reasons.
I don't think there's been a better coming of age story made before or after Stand by me and its one that I never tire of watching.
True Romance has everything you want in a film. Great cast, great script, humour and despair wrapped around an unconventional love story. Fantastic stuff.
Trainspotting probably would have been in a top 30 list of mine.
The other two are classics but not really my bag, I've way he'd them because they are the films you just have to watch at some point aren't they.

Stand by me would have been in my top 5 with True Romance top 10.
Two fabulous movies for very different reasons.
I don't think there's been a better coming of age story made before or after Stand by me and its one that I never tire of watching.
True Romance has everything you want in a film. Great cast, great script, humour and despair wrapped around an unconventional love story. Fantastic stuff.
Trainspotting probably would have been in a top 30 list of mine.
The other two are classics but not really my bag, I've way he'd them because they are the films you just have to watch at some point aren't they.
Had Stand by Me in at number 4 - Brilliant piece of work - Forgot about True Romance :-(

I thought King captures 'childhood an teenage' exceptionally well and far better than most. He returns to it many times in his books. Off the top of my head; IT, The Shining, Stand by Me, Pet Semetary, Cujo, Christine, Carrie, Apt Pupil all were written through the eyes of a child/teenager.

I'm just about to finish reading The Institute and that features kids as some of the main protagonists, the leading character is a twelve year old.

Hope there's a certain John Hughes film in the Top 40 (two of them actually), and another Sean Astin film.

Criminally, I forgot the other Sean Astin film. I remember buying the DVD some years back and the young assistant behind the counter, possibly not born when the film was released, commented: "best film ever".

Quite a lot of people deride them but I like John Hughes' movies. None made my Top 20 although two could have on another day. Breakfast Club is my personal favourite.

By the way, if anybody has any recommendations for films that are similar in tone to "Stand By me", I'm all ears.

Two that I can think of in the last 10 years that I enjoyed immensely were: "Mud" and "The Kings of Summer".
A Christmas Story captures exactly what it was like to be about 9, a boy, white, middle class and living in the US about 1940. Or so I assume. It’s really good (but very light in tone).

That's five of mine in so far.
Josey Wales,my number one.
Dead mans shoes.
True Grit.
Blazing Saddles.
True Romance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.