Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

There's my #1 at pos 22. Surprise that Raiders isn't higher, a faultless film IMO.

Funnily enough, only saw The Shining for the first time last Christmas and really enjoyed it.

I should get around to watching 12 Angry Men - when I did a poll for another forum a few years ago, it placed even higher than this.

30. Leon (AKA The Professional) . . . . . . . . 4 voters / 67 points

View attachment 3878

29. Unforgiven . . . . . . . . 7 voters / 67 points

View attachment 3879

T27. Taxi Driver . . . . . . . . 5 voters / 70 points

View attachment 3880

T27. Casablanca . . . . . . . . 5 voters / 70 points

View attachment 3881

26. Die Hard . . . . . . . . 6 voters / 71 points

View attachment 3882
Brilliant set of films, I only had Taxi Driver but most of these were in and my list at one point.

Leon is a great watch, not much dialogue from the main character, which works because of a superb supporting cast including Gary Oldman. I heard a shout that the girl grows up to be the Nikita character, played by Bridgitte Fonda in the American version. There was an earlier French version which was better imo.

Clint Eastwood has been in/directed some of the best westerns ever and this is one of them. There isnt a wasted scene in this film and an absolutely fantastic cast with four proper(if aging) stars taking the main roles.The only reason its not in my list is because I only allowed myself one Eastwood western....crazy I know!!

Taxi driver is De Niro at his best in a slice of sleazy after hours New York, and in my list.

Anyone thinking that films are"too old" or I dont know the actors etc are denying themselves some great film viewing. Casablanca making this list proves what a gem it is, and the actors were true cinema greats of their time.

Really enjoyed Die Hard when it came out, all action with Willis cast just right for the part and Alan Rickman too. The best of the die hard series for me.

I am now up to six, and hopes of a few more.

Disappointed that Raiders, which I did vote for, isn't higher. It is a superb movie. A superb homage to older action movies. The opening sequence is arguably the best of any movie: I remember it left me breathless just watching it. I rank watching Raiders for the first time a probably the most memorable movie going experience that I ever had because a friend and I saw it at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in L.A. when we were touring round the States on holiday. Huge screen and a very loud surround system, the like of which I'd never encountered in the UK.

It's also another example of the brilliance of Steven Spielberg.

The Shining on the other hand doesn't rank as a shining example of Kubrick's undoubted talent. It's not a bad movie by any means and has probably improved with subsequent viewings - Mad Jack is great, of course - but seeing at the first time was one of the most disappointing movie going experiences that I can recall. The Shining was one of the first Stephen King books that I read - I think I count as one of those he addresses as Constant Reader - and I loved it so the film was a huge let down. Mind you, Kubrick is not alone in failing to do justice to Mr King's work.

Anyway, 8 of my picks have now appeared. I reckon a similar number are yet to feature.

Last edited:
25. The Shining 6/73
View attachment 3943

24. 12 Angry Men 6/74

View attachment 3944

23. The Usual Suspects 7/75

View attachment 3945

22. Raiders Of The Lost Ark 6/76

View attachment 3946

21. No Country For Old Men 8/86

View attachment 3947

Love all these films, but only have No Country in my list, its such an enigmatic film. Not just a chase movie but so much more, identifiable characters, well paced continuity, a great cast and an ending that stays with you and makes you think. The Coens are superb storytellers no doubt.

All the others are great too but Im not going into detail as the all speak for themselves. If you havnt seen any of em, its worth seeking them out.

Thats seven for me now, and am hopeful for another 5/6.

No love for the great Nic Roeg yet ?
And not one film in a foreign language. Ho hum.
Time running out for a number of greats: Malick, Van Sant, Polanski, Herzog, Kurosawa...

I had the korean film a bitter sweet life in originally but swapped it out.

If I was asked to compile a list again I think I may have at least half different from what I submitted now thinking about it.

On tonight, BBC2 HD @ 21:15

e5XIRDg.jpg

The Shining (1980)

Starring Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall & Danny Lloyd.

A frustrated writer hopes to find inspiration by taking a caretaker's job in an isolated mountain resort.

Last edited:
Happy to see The Usual Suspects in here — I still enjoy this film a lot and it was on my list so I’m finally up to four. I wasn’t sure how popular it was over there.

Raiders is indeed a classic too; it pained me to have to cut it when I narrowed down my list to 20. Great fun; Harrison Ford’s best film IMO and the inspiration for perhaps my favo(u)rite movie quote of all time: “It’s not the years, honey. It’s the mileage.” Which he ad-libbed!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.