Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

The Shining on the other hand doesn't rank as a shining example of Kubrick's undoubted talent. It's not a bad movie by any means and has probably improved with subsequent viewings - Mad Jack is great, of course - but seeing at the first time was one of the most disappointing movie going experiences that I can recall. The Shining was one of the first Stephen King books that I read - I think I count as one of those he addresses as Constant Reader - and I loved it so the film was a huge let down. Mind you, Kubrick is not alone in failing to do justice to Mr King's work.
Agreed. I've never really got the fuss about The Shining. It's obviously a decent film, but I never understand why it always features at the top of these horror movie lists either. Did anyone really find it scary? I didn't.

Surprised Taxi Driver wasn't higher. When I was at uni, I don't think you'd find anyone who didn't have it in their top 10.

No love for the great Nic Roeg yet ?
And not one film in a foreign language. Ho hum.
Time running out for a number of greats: Malick, Van Sant, Polanski, Herzog, Kurosawa...
Haha, good luck with that. I watched La Regle du Jeu the other day. Sight and Sound magazine do a top 10 list every 10 years and it's never been out of the top 4. I can't imagine anyone will be voting for it though. I wonder if we'll see Citizen Kane. Or anything by Bergman.

It's interesting though that the music poll roughly mirrored what critics would probably name as their top 100, but the film one is completely different. Although I guess film critics are usually more international in their tastes. How often do music critics even review anything that's not in English, even though with music it's arguably far less important?

I was hoping to see Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia in the top 100. I doubt they’ll feature now.

I was hoping to see Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia in the top 100. I doubt they’ll feature now.
That seems to have had a resurgence lately. At the time, I remember everyone thought it was shit. But I see it coming up more and more on things about filmmaking.

I still reckon if it wasn't Kubrick no-one would give a shit personally.

Agreed. I've never really got the fuss about The Shining. It's obviously a decent film, but I never understand why it always features at the top of these horror movie lists either. Did anyone really find it scary? I didn't.

Surprised Taxi Driver wasn't higher. When I was at uni, I don't think you'd find anyone who didn't have it in their top 10.
Taxi Driver wasn't one of my 20 but it's one of those classic Scorsese / De Niro movies and wouldn't be out of place higher up the list.

That seems to have had a resurgence lately. At the time, I remember everyone thought it was shit. But I see it coming up more and more on things about filmmaking.

I still reckon if it wasn't Kubrick no-one would give a shit personally.
Only valid because of his stature- he had insight and was willing to disclose it

Last edited:

It's not really horror though is it ,this is where it gets misunderstood - more an unparalleled tale of a descent into madness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.