Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

sequels better than the original is a good debate

i'd personally go Terminator 2, Back To Future 2, possibly Godfather.

It is a good debate but not quite the same as best sequels as the latter depends on the quality of the the sequel itself as a movie (and by implication the original).

T2 is a good shout although I'm not sure I preferred it to the original but the differences in budgets is very significant.

Prefer BTTF to BTTF2 but it is one of the best sequels.

Godfather is one of the biggies and I vacillate between the 2 as to which is the better movie. You will know how I voted.

The Empire Strikes Back is a sequel that is better than the original for my money but surely we can discuss that more appropriately when said movie appears on the list.

It is a good debate but not quite the same as best sequels as the latter depends on the quality of the the sequel itself as a movie (and by implication the original).

T2 is a good shout although I'm not sure I preferred it to the original but the differences in budgets is very significant.

Prefer BTTF to BTTF2 but it is one of the best sequels.

Godfather is one of the biggies and I vacillate between the 2 as to which is the better movie. You will know how I voted.

The Empire Strikes Back is a sequel that is better than the original for my money but surely we can discuss that more appropriately when said movie appears on the list.
I can't think of a single sequel I think is clearly better than the original, including GF2 or Empire, although I like the DeNiro sequences best of anything in any of the Godfathers, which is really a prequel to the original Godfather, and I like Rogue One better than Star Wars, also a prequel. I think of Aliens and T2 the same way -- I enjoyed the sequels more viscerally, but I think the originals were better films (more claustrophobic as someone else said and therefore scarier, and reliant on ideas more than pyrotechnics).

Having said that . . . do we consider Bond films sequels? In that case then I like quite a few better than Dr. No. And we haven't seen any Bond films on the list yet, have we?

I can't think of a single sequel I think is clearly better than the original, including GF2 or Empire, although I like the DeNiro sequences best of anything in any of the Godfathers, which is really a prequel to the original Godfather, and I like Rogue One better than Star Wars, also a prequel. I think of Aliens and T2 the same way -- I enjoyed the sequels more viscerally, but I think the originals were better films (more claustrophobic as someone else said and therefore scarier, and reliant on ideas more than pyrotechnics).

Having said that . . . do we consider Bond films sequels? In that case then I like quite a few better than Dr. No. And we haven't seen any Bond films on the list yet, have we?

Star trek wrath of khan
Toy story 2 & 3
Dawn of the dead original
Evil dead 2
The revenge of frankenstein

Last edited:
Star trek wrath of khan
Toy story 2 & 3
Dawn of the dead original
Evil dead 2
The revenge of frankenstein
Ok, I’ll give you Wrath of Khan. Hadn’t thought of that one.

I don’t agree on Toy Story.

I haven’t seen Evil Dead 2 (yet — in joke from one of the films in my top 20!) nor the others.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.