'Bluffers guide to MCFC'

WNRH said:
Actual LOL at people still saying it is a joke, i know we all defend city at all times but this is one time where you cannot defend us.

I can't believe people actually think this small article on our OS needs defending! I mean let's remember the bigger picture here. We also had the tunnel cam video this week which seems to have been a great success with the fans, they are trying new things it's all trial and error. I can't believe that with everything thats going great at City at the moment people are on here griping about a little article. I assume the majority on here are adults so the fact that people are outraged that other fans are laughing at us is a little bit sad, since when do we care what others think of OUR club. We are going places and they know it. In the week we achieve our target of fourth place and a FA cup final to come it seems churlish to me to be bitching and moaning about a throwaway article on the site.

Comment now on OS BY THE GUY THAT COMMISSIONED THE ARTICLE

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown/2011/May/Welcoming-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-count ... ing-debate</a>?

Who would have thought a bluffer's guide would cause such a reaction on twitter? Clearly not I and I'm the man who asked for it to be written.

I have an admission to make. I've been working one the websites at MCFC for a few months and I can't help myself, I now care about the Club. I didn't think I'd cave in, but working with the @mcfcgeeks team has been great and some of their passion has rubbed off on me. I don't know much of the history, and I want to know more. More importantly, I thought there would be other people out there who might want to know more too so I asked one of our excellent journalist team - a man who has been a City fan since birth and is a diehard Blue - to write me a guide. And so the bluffer's guide was made. The tone was intentionally light-hearted, a bit tongue-in-cheek, open and welcoming. It was relying on the Mancunian sense-of-humour …but clearly some people didn't take it that way.

"Cringeworthy" seems to be the main complaint on twitter and I apologise to the hardcore fans for the misunderstanding.

I'd have thought it pretty obvious, but this wasn't an article meant for you and it wasn't meant to be patronising. We've been getting more people coming to our website - showing an interest in the Club's community and atmosphere as well as players and the success this season - and these are the people we were trying to help. Brits like me or people from overseas who weren't brought up on football or who don't know the full story.

Twitter can be a really powerful medium - but it can also make it really easy for people to jump on a bandwagon. There's nothing easier than clicking RT and it doesn't always convey a depth of thought. However, it's clear from the reaction that there are some loyal supporters who feel very passionately and we try hard on the site, on twitter and facebook to listen to the fans. Of course, as a club that's having some success we will get interest from people who haven't been fans before. We will need to find a way to welcome them into the City way of life - and maybe the reaction to this story suggests we need to have a conversation with the lifelong fans about the best way to do that.

I suppose the word 'Bluffer's' might be the problem. We could have called it 'a briefing' perhaps, but I think most people would agree that it's short-hand for giving a quick explanation of the topic. It was hardly a genuine attempt to help people pretend to be fans - more an explainer to help those who might wonder what on earth the Poznan was if they see it on global coverage of the FA Cup.

What amazes me about some of the online comments is how quickly reaction can change. Yesterday, about an hour before the bluffer's guide went live, we put up Tunnel Cam. Exclusive footage from inside the tunnel at the match against Spurs. Reaction online was great and it's not the only example of our efforts to be more open and accessible to our community of fans. I don't know of any other football club, or even sports club for that matter, who give the level of frank, honest, straight-talking behind-the-scenes content that we do. What's more, that interaction with the community is a reflection of the work the Club does in and around Manchester - more players have spent more time with supporters' clubs and visiting hospitals or kids clubs over the last couple of years than ever before.

In real life, I've found the fans and the Club's atmosphere to be open hearted, welcoming and willing to indoctrinate me into a great culture and the rituals of City life. It seems, in the online world, we face the challenge of how to share the culture in a way that welcomes people who want to get to know the Club better.

<a class="postlink" href="http://mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown/2011/May/Welcoming-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown ... ing-debate</a>

Seems like the club feel the need to explain this to a few sensitive types .

I saw this when I went back to re-read the original article to check whether I'd missed something. When I first read it I just dismissed it a bit of harmeless fluff. Couldnt believe that its caused such a reaction.

The FA Cup Final does tend to attract a fair bit of overseas interest. It wouldnt be totally unexpected if a few people from many miles away, who didnt know a great deal about the club, decided to check out the website. I can understand why someone at the club thought it worth putting something light hearted on the website to gave a flavour of our sense of humour. But it appears that we dont have one anymore.

WNRH said:
Actual LOL at people still saying it is a joke, i know we all defend city at all times but this is one time where you cannot defend us.

Can't decide if you're being serious or not.

If you are then I'm afraid you really are thick, but if you're not then you're quite clever.

Danny Hoekman said:
WNRH said:

Can't decide if you're being serious or not.

If you are then I'm afraid you really are thick, but if you're not then you're quite clever.

Don't worry, your foam hand is in the post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.