Bobby Charlton passes away at the age of 86

I grew up in Chorlton ,so it was quite easy to get to both grounds. Saw a lot of Charlton ,Best and Law games

To think modern fans would never in a million years go to watch one team one week and your rivals the week later.. older City and United fans did it just like here with Liverpool and Everton older fans. I suppose it shows how strong the love of football was back then.
Plenty of ‘modern fans’ do just that. Not nearly as many as previously, but there are lots of reasons for that.

Plenty of ‘modern fans’ do just that. Not nearly as many as previously, but there are lots of reasons for that.

Yes loads of tourist fans these days who travel to various grounds for the football experience. The internet and saturation coverage has made it more popular than ever.

And how cheap it was, I guess. Imagine trying to do that nowadays without remortgaging the house.

It was easier too. No memberships, proof of purchase or tickets ( Unless a big sell out game ) You scraped your coppers together, jumped on a bus, queued up at the turnstiles and you were in. Mostly standing terraces meant grounds fitted more in too.

Always thought Charlton was a bit underrated, maybe because of Geoff Hursts WC hat trick but without Charlton we would never have reached that final. His goal against Mexico is still one of my favourite England goals. He was deceptively fit (despite liking the occasional ciggie and having a dodgy comb-over) and used the glide past opponents beautifully, Phil has a similar style now as did Jack Wilshire. Only Buzzer and Denis Law left of those great six now.

For what it's worth: Charlton always said, and his young teammates agreed with him, as did the coaching staff and Busby himself, that Duncan Edwards was in the process of developing into the greatest English footballer that the country would have ever seen.

For what it's worth: Charlton always said, and his young teammates agreed with him, as did the coaching staff and Busby himself, that Duncan Edwards was in the process of developing into the greatest English footballer that the country would have ever seen.
My Dad, a blue, but he used to go to see both play regularly, always used to say that Duncan Edwards was on his way to being the best ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.