Bobby Charlton passes away at the age of 86

My Dad used to go to City at home one week and ushited, if he couldn't get to the City away match , the next week. Especially before the Munich air disaster.
To think modern fans would never in a million years go to watch one team one week and your rivals the week later.. older City and United fans did it just like here with Liverpool and Everton older fans. I suppose it shows how strong the love of football was back then.

To think modern fans would never in a million years go to watch one team one week and your rivals the week later.. older City and United fans did it just like here with Liverpool and Everton older fans. I suppose it shows how strong the love of football was back then.
I sort of did and then the attitude of young United fans in the mid seventies told me sod that. I was younger but never forgot being spat at in the school corridor by a three years older rag. Shame but those moments form you. Bobby RIP as he preceded that with Best and Law.

I remember speaking to a couple of older Arsenal chaps in the pub and they said they would go watch Tottenham in the 60s as they were the best in England. I couldn't wrap my head around it and initially thought they were on the wind up. It seemed it was common practice to watch as much football as you could for entertainment

It made me wonder at what point did it stop completely because the 70s and 80s and early 90s were rather naughty and segregation seemed important

I started going to watch football in 1968. At that age, like my mates, you lived, breathed and slept football. Every spare minute was kicking a ball about. Going to the games was a huge treat. Money was tight so you begged, scrimped, saved, did a bit of work, mine was caddying, anything you could to get the money to go to the game. My mates were a mixture of reds and Blues. In those early days I wasn't allowed, nor could I afford to go to away games. There was no live games, no internet, I don't think local radio existed. I couldn't afford a transistor radio anyway.

If City were playing away the weekend was awful. You didn't even get to see the highlights unless we were the game selected for motd or Sundays big match. My red mates would be going to Old Trafford and try and talk me into going with them. I had one mate who had more money than the rest of us. I kid you not this kid had a savings account at 13. He did a milk and paper round and caddied too. He'd often offer to help with the cost or even pay me in if I paid my own bus fare. Therefore I went to a fair few games at Old Trafford.

Back then United had Best, Law, Charlton and most teams played exciting attacking football. As a kid going to games was the most exciting thing in your world. It's hard to get this across to people only used to the modern world, it was totally different back then.

For me Bobby Charlton was the one player at United I couldn't dislike. He always came across as a quiet decent gentleman and a great player. He was also instrumental in England winning the world cup. Such a sad end after a rich full life, dying as a result of a fall while in a care home suffering from dementia. Rest in peace Sir Bobby.

I've never closely followed BC s career..
Never looked back .until he died.
We are all aware of the world cup winning team and his influence
I was amazed however to find that his debut for utd was against..Charlton..and he scored..
A few weeks later..utd played Charlton again...and he scored a hat trick
.Pushing colours aside...what a way to announce yourself to the supporters....
All this was obviously well b4 the Air Disaster and world cup win....
So, yes ,I have to say what a Brilliant Football player.

And how cheap it was, I guess. Imagine trying to do that nowadays without remortgaging the house.

And how cheap it was, I guess. Imagine trying to do that nowadays without remortgaging the house.
Yeah no way most could afford to watch both teams nowadays, in those days it was possible tho, I suppose even tho it might not of been your team it would still be your home town club which represented where you were from and lived, there was a strong bond back then between club and community unlike now where being able to just pick a club to support for any old reason is seen as perfectly acceptable.

Shocking in the sense it wasn’t picked up till a few days later,he could be still here if they’d have checked him properly,but unfortunately accidents like this are all too common in nursing homes or at home ..
It happens before it can be prevented many times, my boyfriend's grandmother had a nasty fall in her care home and that was it for her onwards. Her health deteriorating rapidly and a week or two later she was gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.