Boiled Eggs

stony

Now I'm not a total twat in the kitchen, in fact I do all the cooking at home.
Casseroles, Cottage Pie, Spag Bol, Lasagne, roast dinners, Curry(yuck), Chilli, Fajitas . I can cook more or less anything. All homemade with fresh ingredients, nothing from a tin.

Apart from boiled eggs, I don't know why I even try because they always turn out undercooked/overcooked or burst in the pan.
I've been onto Delia's website and countless others but even if I follow their instructions to the letter, I still fuck it up.

Fucking egg bastards!

Today I ended up with soft white and hard yolk, FFS is that even scientifically possible ?

It sounds like a mystery.

What type of hob do you have? If it is electric then they maintain the heat so you could get the water boiling then turn it off but leave it on the hob. Gas you'd want to turn down a bit once boiling.

How fresh are the eggs you're using? That could make a difference. Also don't use an excessive amount of water.

This page has some tips that could help.
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/boiledeggs.htm

Firstly, boil enough water in the kettle to cover the egg. While the water is heating up, prepare the rest of the breakfast.

If you are removing the egg straight from the fridge, then prick the rounded end of the egg with a pin. This prevents the egg from cracking when put into the water.

When the water has boiled, pour the required quantity into the pan. Turn on the heat, and wait until the water boils furiously. Now add the salt and then you put your egg into the water, taking care not to burn your fingers. Try not to drop the egg in, as the shell will crack, causing the egg white to spill everywhere in the pan. You can use a slotted spoon if you don't want to get too close to the boiling water.

This is generally regarded to be a solid white and a thick yolk which looks like it is coagulating around its borders. About a 4 or 5-minute egg !!!

One of life's beautiful pleasures, the perfect boiled egg allows you to enjoy a few stolen moments to yourself.

Provided that someone has not beaten you to it, collect an egg from your eglu. Get some water on the go and slice some bread. Put the egg in the gently simmering water and pop the bread in the toaster. You will have more success if the egg is either still warm from the nest or at room temperature and the water isn't bubbling like a jacuzzi.
When the toast is ready, butter and cut into soldiers. Your egg should be just right now, so lift it gently out of the water and place in a ceramic egg cup.
Just a couple of details will really locate this dish on the map of excellence: always use a horn spoon as metal conducts heat away from the egg too quickly and spoils the taste, use good quality salt (like Maldon sea salt) and a big linen napkin, tucked in to your collar. ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.