Book suggestions

Not read any of those books on Rush. Might have to check them out.
I’ve dived straight into the 80s one first. (Volume 1 covers ‘74 through to the Hemispheres tour as you’d expect).
I’ve enjoyed the insight into PW and MP so far. He then covers Exit too, which I didn’t expect, before going on to the ‘controversial’ Signals. It’s a formula of the context of the album recording, the recording studio,
location etc, interviews with band members, engineer Paul Northfield, and a lot with producer Terry Brown. Then discusses each song, lyrics & music, before covering the following tour - makes reference to other bands on the bill, and a funny anecdote about how Aerosmith shafted them in the early years, but they got payback later on when Joe Perry supported them. I’m up to grace Under Pressure at the mo.
I’m reading it on Kindle, but I think the paperback editions may be due out next month.

I’d forgotten all about this thread, cheers for bumping it @ob

@hammocity ive not heard of those 3 but I’m definitely interested. I’ve read a lot of the Len Deighton books so this might be of interest I guess. I also really enjoyed Follets Eye of the Needle (as well as the film with Donald Sutherland in). With those 3 do you really need to read all 3 or do they work as free standing novels?

On a different note, @OB1 have you read any of the 3 Martin Popoff books about Rush? I’m midway through Limelight the second one covering the 80s - great for the interviews and details, not so for his personal opinions which I think are often wide of the mark, or debatable at the very least.

Lastly, I know it’s not everyone’s cuppa but finished the last of the Strike novels by JK Rowling recently - brilliant stuff to delve into.
You can kind of read out of order but it makes more sense to go from the top (Fall of Giants), I learned a lot about the era from that book, eg, the first WW kind of petered out and was superseded by the Russian Revolution. Great read, all three books are knocking on for 1k pages!

Btw, Eye of the Needle was brilliant and I also enjoyed the film, couldn't remember it was Donald Sutherland. I've read a few Follett books and there's one partly set in Afghanistan, Lie Down with Lions that I enjoyed as well.

You can kind of read out of order but it makes more sense to go from the top (Fall of Giants), I learned a lot about the era from that book, eg, the first WW kind of petered out and was superseded by the Russian Revolution. Great read, all three books are knocking on for 1k pages!

Btw, Eye of the Needle was brilliant and I also enjoyed the film, couldn't remember it was Donald Sutherland. I've read a few Follett books and there's one partly set in Afghanistan, Lie Down with Lions that I enjoyed as well.
Thanks for that pal - happy to get stuck into a 1K page book- especially having read a couple of Stephen King’s books in the last year, which certainly aren’t brief!

ok, will start with the first & let you know how I get on

Thanks for that pal - happy to get stuck into a 1K page book- especially having read a couple of Stephen King’s books in the last year, which certainly aren’t brief!

ok, will start with the first & let you know how I get on
There's a few families involved over various countries, in the books there's a family tree to reference members, my memory isn't what it was and this was very useful, especially when moving to the second and third books, hope you enjoy.

My top ten favourite books, limited to one-per-author, no particular order:

• One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
  • The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
  • Dubliners (James Joyce)
  • The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon)
  • His Dark Materials - Series (Phillip Pullman)
  • Down and Out in Paris and London (George Orwell)
  • Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
  • Wide Sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)
  • The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events - Series (Lemony Snicket)

Joe Rogan has a brilliant interview on Spotify with S C Gwynne about his Empire of the Summer moon book.

Attachments

• empire-of-the-summer-moon-9781416591061_hr (1).jpg
    empire-of-the-summer-moon-9781416591061_hr (1).jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 4
My top ten favourite books, limited to one-per-author, no particular order:

• One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
  • The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway)
  • Dubliners (James Joyce)
  • The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon)
  • His Dark Materials - Series (Phillip Pullman)
  • Down and Out in Paris and London (George Orwell)
  • Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
  • Wide Sargasso Sea (Jean Rhys)
  • The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events - Series (Lemony Snicket)
Grapes of Wrath and Lord of the flies both read at school and brilliant films too (the original flies one not that shite remake)

Foreground Music a Life in 15 gigs / Graham Duff

A Life Among Strangers (Peter Wyngarde biography, cracking read)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.