Borussia Dortmund (H) Post-Match Thread

I think this game needed either Grealish or Mahrez but not both. Playing them both and then having inverted fullbacks as well and one of them is a CB, it was never going to work, surely?
Agreed. Foden and Grealish with Cancelo and Gomez overlapping was excellent against Sevilla. Mahrez and Grealish with Stones and Cancelo underlapping was poor against Dortmund. Grealish is the only constant there and you could see the effect it had on him.

Agreed. Foden and Grealish with Cancelo and Gomez overlapping was excellent against Sevilla. Mahrez and Grealish with Stones and Cancelo underlapping was poor against Dortmund. Grealish is the only constant there and you could see the effect it had on him.

Agreed.

Yeah i was just thinking the exact thing. He doesn't have pace to go past players really and isn't a box of tricks. He is totally one footed and therefore pushes him inside all the time. For me if we are ever to really get the best out of Jack he needs to be played more centrally.
The lack of pace is an issue given where Pep is playing him. I remember Souness saying a couple of years back that being the most fouled player in the league wasn’t an asset. It was happening because he slows play down, doesn’t get away from people and then gets tackled. Villa were happy to get countless free kicks, but it certainly isn’t part of our quick transition plan. I feel for him, but he is a square peg in a round hole.

A game to forget, but two cracking strikes got us out of jail. Think Mahrez and Grealish are under immense pressure now, showed absolutely fuck all again. Subs changed it tonight, no doubt about it

Mahrez was excellent in CL last year and got in form for a long period of time in the championship also. He will be fine it's just a bad not in form period for him.
Grealish on the other hand tries the wrong way to play. Tries very hard to show things but he should play more freely. And DEFINITELY to use his LEFT foot also! No need to turn always to his right trying to shot, a cross with the left would give him a 2nd dimension and be way more productive.

Horrible display of football yesterday but it's like this when you try to win everything, you have to be slow and cautious in the beginning in order not to run out of fuel in the end. That's what Pep does i think. Just win games now even by not playing at full force. A looong season is ahead of us.

Didn’t he play there loads for Villa?
did they play against packed defences like we do ? just asking and yes needs to free up a bit i feel he's playing within himself

as for Alvarez hes just played full season for river plate and then world cup coming up think pep worried and rightly so about burn out but the lad looks a great talent

Marhrez last night backed out of two challenges and after that did very little sadly

And tbf to Mahrez, i think he does better when he has someone overlapping so he can cut inside. Let's face it, Riyad is never gonna pass it to the fullback when he overlaps, but it does give him a bit more space to cut inside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.